News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Noodles

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

my parents are coming to visit me from the Old Continent for Christmas...

Do you have any suggestion about what to shoew them in this time of the year? We all like outdoor and walking but the weather might not be perfect for that...

thanks

nood

I have this problem most years as well. Chinatown and Little India are good because they're as lively at Christmas as any other time of year. The ROM is open most days over Christmas. One year I tried the Distillery District but it was very dead, I wonder if that's changed. Another thought: St Lawrence Market.. I haven't tried this at Christmas, but I suspect most days with the possible exception of the 25th it would be quite lively.

I have this problem most years as well. Chinatown and Little India are good because they're as lively at Christmas as any other time of year.

Correctamundo: anything Asian is most likely to be up and running on Xmas Day (including peripheral stuff like Pacific Mall).

Of course, Pacific Mall would be a very "anti-Xmas" way of celebrating Xmas. And of course, your parents wouldn't be here *just* for Xmas day.

We all like outdoor and walking but the weather might not be perfect for that...

This might sound corny/touristy, but how about skating? I've never done it personally (as far as I remember), but something seems quite romantically, underratedly Torontonian about taking an Xmas skate in Nathan Philips Square, or watching others do so...

Skating is a good idea. I heard there's supposed to be a great Festival of Lights this coming Friday (21st) at Kensington Market.

Go see the Nutcracker, if you can. It's a great production in a beautiful building, and very christmasy. Dinner and drinks after, and voila!

We all like outdoor and walking but the weather might not be perfect for that...

Though there might be an adventurous argument that a big-dump day like today is *perfect* for a unique Toronto experience. (As long as you're dressed accordingly, of course.)

As far as museums and galleries go a visit to the McMichael Gallery might be a good idea. A distinctly Canadian collection of art with colourful Group of 7's galore, not to mention it's quite a lovely facility. Additionally, you can walk through the woods on the various trails surrounding the gallery if the snow is not too deep.

Yeh the ROM would be a good idea as well, particularly the Canadian galleries and first peoples exhibits. There's also an ecclectic, and interesting, collection on display now in the basement exhibit hall.

Back