40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
but taller than anything else currently proposed for Queens Quay East. What do you think of the plans?

Not really true...GG has a 35 storey condo building planned for Sherbourne and Queens Quay.:confused:

these are fantastic and engaging designs... I guess the fear is that by the time they are constructed they'll have been straightened into regular boxes.

the buildings are still boxes with angled balconies.

imagine coming home after a night of partying with one's head spinning ...

7 (or 5, depending on how you see it) towers for this site seems much

Auto: what I meant to say was taller than anything else currently proposed for the south side of Queens Quay.

I will correct that above.

It would be refreshing to see something other than clear glass railing that aA normally uses.
Milk or frosted glass railings would work with this design very well to highlight the shifting balconies.

This takes the use of lines and angles to a whole new level. They might want to rename this project "Vertigo City". It's clearly trying to go outside the box but I think this is too much.

Interesting, but is this really appropriate for the waterfront vision? I'm not so sure. Phase 1 is nice, but this could be too visually overwhelming.

Is it me or have the property lines shifted? I thought that this project was closer to Yonge St. on the southern end and the city owned parking lot occupied the NW corner along Yonge and Queens Quay. Did the city make a land swap? If so, then my main objection to this project has been cleared: leaving a wide promenade along the Yonge Quay to allow for the construction of a park or a landmark celebrating Toronto's longest street.

Last edited:
It would be refreshing to see something other than clear glass railing that aA normally uses.
Milk or frosted glass railings would work with this design very well to highlight the shifting balconies.

It's funny you should mention that! Check out the renderings, that suggest a milky frosted glass will be used!

I personally think this project looks wonderful. To counter the "still just a box" camp, ultimately this is a business venture and rectangular or square floor plates make the most sense when it comes to utilizing interior space. It's also far more practical for inhabitants. Besides, we generally do boxes very well and it's a reflection of this city's modern built form. I'd rather this approach to creativity than a city like Dubai's or many Asian metropolises'.

I don't see how height is an issue. There is only one tower and I would assume that its height is restricted to that of something similar to the Westin Harbor Castle. The proposed project maintains the same sightlines as Pier 27 and Waterlink only the depth is affected as the project interacts on street level. Cool design, something Toronto hasn't seen so this project, as a whole may end up giving Toronto its waterfront identity from the view of the city and from the water.

This is really good work. Thank heavens aA has this project. The right degree of jauntiness for this part of the waterfront.

I have no problem with the height, either. The buildings are all in great taste.

Back