News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Concrete's liberating allure

287915_3.JPG

AARON LYNETT/TORONTO STAR
The Rosedale Valley Bridge. Architect: John B. Parkin Associates, with Delcan Cater & Co. Completed: 1966.

Inexpensive, permanent and freighted with meaning, concrete allowed architects in the `50s and `60s to express Toronto's huge civic optimism – setting it apart from U.S. cities
Oct 21, 2007 04:30 AM
Murray Whyte
staff reporter

Brutalism. Sounds friendly, no?

No. And that, no doubt, is part of the problem. As an unfortunate – and incorrect – label for much of the late-Modern concrete architecture built largely through the late '50s to the early '70s, the term is about as cuddly as a cactus.

And fairly or unfairly, most of the buildings it has come to describe – in blanket form – suffer the same fate.

"There's still this sense that people have a very strong negative opinion about some of these buildings," says Michael McClelland, who means to change that. Or if not change it, exactly, then at least do something we haven't in a long time: talk about it.

What's lost in that dismissiveness, McClelland says, is the tremendous positive surge that these kinds of buildings embodied here: Of a city coming into its own, building big – the biggest, at least back then, in the case of the CN Tower – dreaming big, and using the most modern of technologies to render a thoroughly contemporary city as many of its American counterparts suffered the indignities of suburban flight.

To help remind us, McClelland and co-editor Graeme Stewart have assembled Concrete Toronto, a tome of writing, interviews and photographs about concrete architecture here, with a mind to reclaiming its good name – or, at least, start that conversation,

"We're interested in why people appreciate certain buildings, and look at others and say `Oh, I hate that,'" says McClelland, a principal at ERA Architects, who specialize in historic restorations.

"We found that if they like it, it's because they understand it. And if they don't, it's because of a prejudice."

It would be hard to find a more maligned urban form than massive slabs of concrete. And what's easy to forget, or ignore, is the spirit it once embodied.

In the late modern rush for democratic structures and space, concrete was not oppressive, but liberating – an inexpensive form so malleable as to lend almost sculptural possibility to the built environment. It was solid, permanent and ideal-embodying – a material that allowed an architect to believe he or she was building something that would last forever.

It was also the catalyst for a nationwide building boom, and a technological revolution in the field that wouldn't be seen again for decades, until advanced computer rendering made such things as Frank Gehry's titanium-sheathed Bilbao Guggenheim possible in 1995.

"There was this huge optimism at the time," McClelland says. "It was an extremely democratic material – inexpensive, and you could do almost anything with it. These architects thought they were doing some really interesting stuff."

By international standards – and it was international; important architects like Le Corbusier and Louis Kahn were using concrete the world over – many of them were:

The ornate concrete simplicity of Peter Goering's landmark Medical Sciences building at the University of Toronto in 1969.

The stark beauty of Irving Grossman's Beth David Synagogue in 1959.

John Andrews' imposing stepped volumes of Scarborough College in 1964.

A host of robust, swooping apartment structures by Uno Prii.

Viljo Revell's new city hall, probably the city's best-loved building.

But we hate concrete these days – don't we? There's that prejudice again. McClelland points out that the same design team that conceived new city hall also hatched the Sheraton Centre across the street – a much-maligned structure that looms close to Queen St. and University Ave.

"With these kinds of buildings, most people will say that they hate them, but they can't say why," McClelland shrugs.

It might come as a shock to some that concrete can be not only imposing, but delicate and warm. Taivo Kapsi's 1968 house on Ardwold Gate, for example, a perfectly-proportioned assemblage of volumes rendered in ridged grey, hunkers in harmony with the lush grasses and trees that grow around, over and through it.

Ron Thom and Arthur Erickson, two of Canada's most celebrated architects, harnessed the material's creative force and made some of their most memorable work with it – Thom's campus at Trent University in Peterborough and Erickson, who did Roy Thomson Hall here, better known for such concrete masterpieces as the Museum of Anthropology or the MacMillan Bloedel Building in Vancouver.

Out west, it was a little easier. Not so much saddled by history, perhaps, an architectural aesthetic based on material and proportion could more readily take hold.

Less so here, where the much-loved ornateness of Victorian or Georgian structures cast their more recent concrete brethren as being not yet being historically valuable, but merely out of fashion – so much so that two icons of the era, John Parkin's twin masterpieces in Don Mills, the Bata headquarters and the Imperial Oil building, were recently demolished.

Encouragingly, perhaps, they met their end amid a row over architectural heritage and significance. For concrete buildings, this is progress. What's easy to forget, of course, is that the Victorians were once loathed for the same reasons they're now coveted – too fussy, too narrow, too twee, too old. McClelland says that, for concrete, that day will come, too.

"It's almost a missing chapter in the history of our city," he says. "Not all of these concrete buildings are great. But what we don't have right now is the conversation to determine that. And that's what we're trying to start."

Of a city coming into its own, building big – the biggest, at least back then, in the case of the CN Tower – dreaming big, and using the most modern of technologies to render a thoroughly contemporary city as many of its American counterparts suffered the indignities of suburban flight.

Toronto survived the 50s and 60s despite brutalist megaprojects, not because of them. Sure, people were thinking big (which Torontonians unfortunately no longer do) but many of the ideas were ill-conceived. Today, Toronto's vibrant neighbourhoods are the ones that survived the bulldozers of the 50s and 60s.

Why don't people like the Sheraton Centre? The building is OK but its blank concrete walls at street level give the message to pedestrians that you don't belong here.

Incidentally, this is what the Queen and Bay area looked like before "urban renewal". Slightly more pedestrian-friendly than the concrete-laden windswept mess we have now.

s0071_it1971.jpg

Brutalism can be friendly. I actually find it very warm and inviting. I don't know why people find it so cold and sterile.
I might be biased though, I don't know.

Brutalist architecture is wonderful - a real treat sometimes amongst all of the shiny shiny glass and wedding cake stucco.

hmm, didnt know that bay st. had a streetcar line back in the day.

excellent article. i think he brings up very good points about people not knowing the context behind the concrete buildings. today they see buildings that are light and transparent for the most part and when they compare the two, it's obvious to see why they hate the heavy and imposing concrete.

personally, i think there are good and bad examples of brutalism. for example, the Rosedale Valley Bridge that's posted in the beginning of this thread is a real treat. the way it stands out in front of the foliage is surreal because of the great contrast between the grey concrete and the amazing color of the trees.

And as I say, if you think the Sheraton Centre's "bad" now, imagine if it were reclad in "wedding cake stucco".

A little double-barrelled boo-boo, though, re John B. Parkin's "twin masterpieces" in Don Mills: Imperial Oil's been gone since about 1993 already, while AFAIK Bata still stands (unless the wrecking ball's been swung over the past month or less)

I couldn't disagree more.

Inspired by the article, I'm curious as to why you think so. They are many hindrances to the kind of radical projects that the 50s and 60s brought us, such as rising maintenance costs and more respect for heritage buildings. Today, we're starting to redevelop the long industrial portlands, proposing a bike lane down Bloor, adding buildings like OCAP and the Crystal, and seeking to build 120 kilometres of LRT (dare I say streetcar) lines. Those are radical propositions.

I was never against brutalism, it was just so prevalent that I saw it as bland. But in understanding the ideals the architects had in mind, the buildings become fascinating. I think Bata headquarters are still standing.

But we hate concrete these days – don't we? There's that prejudice again. McClelland points out that the same design team that conceived new city hall also hatched the Sheraton Centre across the street – a much-maligned structure that looms close to Queen St. and University Ave.

We can't say why?

The Sheraton Centre is horrible - it presents a grey blank wall to pedestrians on Queen Street, it's monolithic, it is terrible for NPS across the street, while I don't think of City Hall as brutalist, though it has some of its elements. There's a few good and interesting examples of brutalism that I'd like to keep - some of Uno Prii's towers (not the ones on Elm or Spadina, though), or Robarts, for example. But who would like to keep Jorgenson, or Sheraton, or the Nightmare on Elm, or 666 Spadina, the examples that come to mind when Torontonians think of brutalism (Fort Book notwithstanding)?

I really like the Sheraton Centre, but agree that it sucks at street level.

The lobby needs a facelift.

Inspired by the article, I'm curious as to why you think so. They are many hindrances to the kind of radical projects that the 50s and 60s brought us, such as rising maintenance costs and more respect for heritage buildings. Today, we're starting to redevelop the long industrial portlands, proposing a bike lane down Bloor, adding buildings like OCAP and the Crystal, and seeking to build 120 kilometres of LRT (dare I say streetcar) lines. Those are radical propositions.
I was just disagreeing with the notion that Torontonians don't think big. Seems like you agree with me. I'd say there's just as much big stuff going on right now as when the brutalist buildings were being built. OCAD, the Crystal, the Hummingbird tower, Transit City (even without any subway lines), and the full scale return of residents downtown are all examples of thinking big.

An example of amazing brutalism:
Reminds me of the Math & Computer building in Waterloo

mc-cs.jpg

http://drivel.ca/photography/waterloo/mc-cs.html

The math and computing building is one of the great examples of brutalism - Waterloo has a few, as do many Ontario universities - the growth spurt back in the 1960s - Robarts the prime example of. Unfortunately, it also resulted in Jorgenson and Ross.

Much like the bridge photo in the first picture illustrates I think brutalist and heavy concrete buildings and structures work best when contrasted against natural settings or when they are low-rise sprawling campuses in a natural context. I don't think they work too well in urban contexts or as master planned districts.

Back