8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

argos

Member Bio
Reaction score
the exterior of my door of my condo unit has been scratched pretty badly. There is one unit next to mine who may possibly have done the damages to my door when they moved in. However, due to the lack of evidence, i won't be able to ask them to fix the scratches.

Is the Property Management responsible for cleaning up/removing the scratches on the exterior of my door?

Where's the CCTV system when you need it? In a closed environment like a condo, with a roster of bored little men sitting at the front desk 24 hours a day, you'd think every floor could be monitored fairly easily.

yes, anything in the hallways. exterior of your unit is part of common elements
It's part of the common elements, therefore not your responsibility. This should be set out in the condominium Declaration and Description, a copy of which you should have received at time of purchase.

a little off topic, but for those who live in condo, do you install an additional lock (e.g., chain locks) on apartment door?

a little off topic, but for those who live in condo, do you install an additional lock (e.g., chain locks) on apartment door?

Condominium unit doors - or at least their outer face - are always "common elements".

Many people do install additional locks but most condominium Rules or By-Laws stipulate that the Management must be given a key so they can have access in an emergency. I know of one building where an owner neglected to give his new key to them and because there was a burst pipe and they had to break down the unit door the owner got a bill for over $2000.

Some condos do not allow an additional locks, check the P&S agreement/rules & regs. or simply talk to the Property Manger to see if it's allowed. If you are declined and see someone has done it, than a precedent has been set so you can appeal to the BoD and you'll likely get approved.

Back