News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

W

wyliepoon

Big huge cultural project in Busan, South Korea... perhaps something Toronto could look at for a waterfront cultural project?

From Architectural Record:

Link to article

Coop Himmelb(l)au Designing Film Center in South Korea

December 5, 2005

The Pusan International Film Festival has selected Austria-based Coop Himmelb(l)au's design as the winning entry for its 430,000 square-foot PIFF Cinema Complex and urban plaza in Pusan, South Korea. The firm, led by architects Helmut Swiczinsky and Wolf D. Prix, envisions a structure with a swooping, curvaceous roof that will act as a film screen on both surfaces. Images can be projected from below for visitors inside the complex to view, but also from above so that they appear on the roof for viewers to enjoy from the surrounding structures. Prix explains, "the roof is not only a roof but also a flying building, so to say." The building will include six cinemas, an exhibition hall, and an entry plaza that allows guests to arrive by boat. The project will also include a valley, a small canal park, and a red carpet zone and walk of fame.

Coop Himmelb(l)au completed another Cinema Center, the UFA Center in Dresden Germany, in 1998. This will be the firm's first Korean Project. Construction has not begun, but Prix is planning to have the center completed in time for the 2007 film festival.

Sarah Cox

051205coop_1lg.jpg

051205coop_2lg.jpg

051205coop_3lg.jpg

Hmm... I think I think I like the look of this project a little better than our own cinema complex - Metropolis.

Back