News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Coyotes' reign of terrier

March 7, 2010

By DON PEAT

Read More: http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/03/06/13138336.html

################################

Residents around Humber Bay Park say they’re overrun with coyotes and are howling mad the city won’t do anything about it, warning that it’s only a matter of time before a child is attacked. Jessie Morrissey literally walks softly but carries a big stick when she takes her Yorkshire terrier Fifer for a walk outside her Lakeshore Blvd. W. condo and around Humber Bay park.

The stick, along with a whistle and flashlight, are at the ready for Morrissey to use to scare or even fight off one of the coyotes that turn up almost on a daily basis in the small patches of parkland along the boardwalk. “They don’t seem to have any fear anymore,†she told the Sunday Sun this week. “I look like an idiot when I go for a walk but you know what, I don’t care. “I think it’s just a matter of time before something happens and hopefully it’s not a child.â€

For Morrissey the coyote sightings started about two years ago and over time they have crept closer and closer, appearing no more than metres from her and her neighbours and not making any attempt to hide from humans. “This year they’ve really come out,†she said, adding the coyotes have been spotted at all times of the day and night and even when residents have tried to scare away those sitting on paths, they don’t run off.

So far Fifer — who is as small as the Maltese dog snatched off a leash by a coyote in north Pickering earlier this week — hasn’t been attacked by the coyotes. But Morrissey isn’t sure how long it will be before the growingly brazen coyotes attack a dog or even a small child playing in Humber Bay Promenade Park.

While she understands wildlife has a place in the city, she wants city officials to take the problem seriously. Morrissey said if the city is going to allow development that encroaches onto coyote habitat and disrupts the wildlife, it should take measures to ensure humans and coyotes don’t come into conflict.

“You expect to see wildlife in your park,†Morrissey said. “You don’t want it at your back gate.†Neighbour Claire Normandeau said there is something “seriously wrong†with the brazenness of the coyote population and the city’s non-response.

Like Morrissey, Normandeau believes it is only a matter of time before a person is attacked. “I do not feel safe and I am concerned for not only myself but my friends, their children, the neighbourhood and our pets,†she said.

Normandeau said she can’t recall the coyotes being a problem before a strip mall was torn down across the street and condo construction started at Lakeshore and West Humber Rd. “The city is trying to take the easy way ot by blaming it on people who feed the wild animals,†she said.

################################

Once the other animals come out of hibernation and migration, they may change their diet to something more their style:

cacklinggoose3339.jpg

Normandeau said she can’t recall the coyotes being a problem before a strip mall was torn down across the street and condo construction started at Lakeshore and West Humber Rd. “The city is trying to take the easy way out by blaming it on people who feed the wild animals,” she said.

So it makes more sense to blame the condos? Right...

Well, what coyote could resist a 600 sq ft bachelor with all the amenities? I can't blame the coyotes for moving in.

Personally I think it's great that coyotes are thriving in the urban environment, but that's just me.

I am quite fed up with idiots who buy homes next to ravines are astounded that the wildlife has the audacity to approach their fence or go over/around it if possible.

Its absurd.

As someone deeply involved in restoring Toronto's Ravine system ......this is what we aim for. A healthy eco-system.

Coyotes are there because Ducks, Gophers and Deer are there.

They are all over Toronto, I should add.

This is not about 2 or 4 or 10 coyotes as some seem to believe.

The Toronto population is at least several hundred, quite possibly more.

I mean last count we were up over 100 deer in Toronto.

Just cause most people are too brain dead to notice........

For those who want no Coyotes

2 Answers

One, let's chop down the forests, leave barren land, nothing for wildlife to eat, no prey, no predators, no problem.

Two, start a petition to improve the conditions, and introduce a relocation program to bring the wolves back.

I guarantee the wolves will remove the Coyotes................LOL

As for the concerns...........just for the moment I will pretend to take them seriously. Look if you buy Coyote Food (a mini-poodle) and let it off leash, YOU are the one being cruel to the poodle, the Coyote is doing its job.

As for young children, I have yet to hear of a Coyote attacking one, and if they are small enough to be targets they should be close by parents, problem solved (the Coyote would not attack)

Coyotes are only medium sized wild dogs, I encountered one in High Park last fall, it looked at me and went the other way.

They're not that much of a threat...........

Wait till the Cougars come back..............;)

As for young children, I have yet to hear of a Coyote attacking one, and if they are small enough to be targets they should be close by parents, problem solved (the Coyote would not attack)
Coyotes have been known to attack children in Canada (although I haven't heard an incident in Toronto yet).

I live next to a ravine, but the rare coyotes I've seen seem to avoid humans as much as possible. Strangely enough, I've seen a few foxes enter people's yards to attack rodents.

Strangely enough, I've seen a few foxes enter people's yards to attack rodents.

This. For every ugly-ass poodle a coyote eats, it goes through hundres or thousands of mice, rats, pigeon and other unwanted over-breeding animals. I think that's a huge benefit.

Coyotes also catch rodents. Get rid of the coyotes, more rodents.

[video=youtube;aa11ep8gKSo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa11ep8gKSo[/video]

Bums are more likely to attack then coyotes.... let's find a relocation program for them.

I rather coyotes than the pesky racoons!

Bums are more likely to attack then coyotes.... let's find a relocation program for them.

I rather coyotes than the pesky racoons!
Now that you mention it... I'm gonna have to hire a roofer this year. Damn racoons ripped up a bunch of shingles. :mad:

Back