News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

D

drum118

Sitting in the rail fan seat as we pull into the eastbound Dundas station on Tuesday, I was shock at what I saw.

I saw 2 cycles trying to race the train along the platform and a good thing there was very few riders waiting for the train at the time. Otherwise, someone could have got injure or kill by these fools.

They got on a car or 2 from the front car otherwise I would say some thing to them.

I am surprise the guard did not say anything to them.

Anarchy. We're slipping into anarchy. And not a moment to soon.

This is completely stupid, but would make an interesting video.

I saw 2 cycles trying to race the train along the platform
Add this to the list of things you've always wanted to do, but never had the guts.

I have nearly been struck by cyclists who illegally use sidewalks as bike lanes, especially on major streets. In 2001, an elderly pedestrian was struck and killed by one of these renegades. In February 2002, a young mother was with her girlfriend in front of the Kew Beach Grill at 1912 Queen Street East while her then 18 month old son was sitting in his stroller. A cyclist who was riding on the sidewalk struck the stroller. Luckily the child wasn't seriously injured. On another occasion, a customer was exiting Whitlock's Restaurant at 1961 Queen Street East. Another cyclist, who was riding on the sidewalk struck the open door, causing over 100 dollars worth of damage to it.

Under the Highway Traffic Act, a Bicycle is a vehicle. Thus, cyclists must follow all H. T. A. regulations. I spoken to several lawyers who have told me that they have represented pedestrians who have been injured by cyclists riding illegally on sidewalks. These victims have won their legal cases against sidewalk cyclists. Please be aware that a cyclist can be sued for anywhere from 10 thousand dollars up to 250 thousand dollars in such bicycle-pedestrian collisions. The amount of the judge's award depends upon the injuries sustained from the collision. Only bicycles with wheels of less than 24 inches in diameter are permitted on sidewalks. Otherwise, one must dismount and walk their bicycles on sidewalks, in order to prevent endangering pedestrians, especially children and senior citizens.

^Cyclists are indeed vehicles and I would appreciate pedestrians who cross blindly (or who look directly into my eyes) to be more aware of their surroundings when they cross the street. Yesterday afternoon when I was biking downtown I had at least 5 pedestrians come into the lane without being aware of my presence or shwoing any signs of it. With the view provided atop my bicycle I could see clearly, so it wasn't a big deal to slow for pedestrians (and when I did, they were very confused - stop to let me pass, or continue walking/running across?), but it does present the danger that I might be rear-ended by motorists behind me.

Presumably you signaled that you were about to stop and let the pedestrians cross, as required. Pedestrians always have the right of way over vehicles.

^Why yes I did; but I'm concerned about instances where it would be close to impossible to stop and signal and I would otherwise have to veer around the pedestrian, and then the pedestrian would get hit by the motor vehicle following me. Just as you would not cross into the path of a moving motor vehicle I hope you would not cross into the street as a bicyclist approaches without first looking for a safe spot to cross considering speed, distance, traffic, etc.

Duty of pedestrian or person in wheelchair

(4) No pedestrian or person in a wheelchair shall leave the curb or other place of safety at a pedestrian crossover and walk, run or move the wheelchair into the path of a vehicle or street car that is so close that it is impracticable for the driver of the vehicle or street car to yield the right of way. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 140 (4).

Pedestrian right of way

(28) Every pedestrian who lawfully enters a roadway in order to cross may continue the crossing as quickly as reasonably possible despite a change in the indication he or she is facing and, for purposes of the crossing, has the right of way over vehicles. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (28) .

Pedestrians have responsibilites and rights just as much as cyclists and motor vehicles, and it would be best if people followed the rules of the road, but some don't.

I've often yelled at other bikers when on my bike -- sometimes "you're giving us a bad name"....or some such.

It's the dumbasses that make reasonable things like rolling through residential stop signs, when it's clear there is nobody around, impossible to implement.

Same with car drivers.

It's the dumb, stupid (if Bill Clinton was running the pro-cyclist campaign).

I commute to work by bicycle and cycle all around town. On a typical weekend, I head out of town to places like Schomberg (last weekend) or Newmarket (yesterday).

I detest the selfish cyclists whom I see everyday on sidewalks, cycling against traffic on one-way streets. I've encountered yahoos cycling in the bike lane going the wrong way on both Queens Quay and even the Bloor Viaduct. I came close to being hit by a cyclist racing on the sidewalk as I was leaving my place. Just this morning, I saw a moron switch from the righthand side of the road heading westbound near Jane and switch to the other side of the street for 2 city blocks. I was amazed that a motor vehicle didn't smash into him. He was lucky. This time.

I often yell "selfish" as I ride by. When on foot, I plant myself in their path and say "it's a side WALK" or "please ride on the ROAD".

If enough people stand up and make these morons clearly understand that their behaviour is unacceptable, just maybe we'll se a change for the better, before others are hurt.

Back