40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Save for the balconies, it reminds me of a modernist interpretation of the classic 'Ford Hotel' style of buildings that popped up all over, including in Toronto. It's a little subtle, but it especially looks like that in this picture.

The project looked good in the renderings but the built result is a disappointment. My biggest criticism is with the cladding and glazing. The grey looks flat and cheap - a bit like a plastic toy or a work trailer. Combined with the smoked glass the volumes look lifeless and flat. The proportions are a bit blocky and unrefined, though this would seem less so if the cladding had been right. The bridge over the breezeway also ended up being a bit of a dud. It could have been pretty cool looking both from Bathurst and from within.
I don't mind the street treatment though, and once those ground level spaces are tenanted, hopefully with something with a good street presence, it will help.

Overall I'd give it a 'C' perhaps because I had high expectations to begin with which were let down in the end.

Back