4.8K     0 

Do you wear a poppy?

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In England we had rationing until 1954. I had a ration card as a small child, apparently, and I was born in '53.

I don't think I've seen anyone selling poppies anywhere for years. You used to see it in grocery stores, but I just haven't ... oh well, I'm off to Loblaws shortly, let's see what's there.

It always makes me wonder where all those folks on TV find their poppies ... and the cynic in me always suspects the wardrobe department.

It always makes me wonder where all those folks on TV find their poppies ... and the cynic in me always suspects the wardrobe department.

I can confirm that this is true, no donation is necessary or even accepted. talent is required to wear one, and guests will be given one if they don't object. It makes it look like they really care!

I can assure you, some of those wearing a poppy, don't possess much talent! (who came up with that term ... not being in the industy I never encountered it until recently ... is it industry-wide or just a local/Canadian thing. Again the cynic in me can't help but think that the term was meant to have a bite!). :)

There are no tales of sacrifice or battle heroics in my family, but there are ones about how the family lands and business (sugar plantation, incidentally) were commandeered to feed the Dutch war effort; how they abandoned their homes and hid in the mountains when the troops marched in; how all the uncles in Singapore were rounded up by the Japanese and never heard from again. It is right to honour the sacrifices made by those who chose to go to war, but we should also remember all that was taken from those who had no choice in the matter. Everyone loses. That's why I wear a poppy.

I haven't seen Legion members selling them in ages. I think the only active members are becoming too infirm to stand all day selling them.

For the statistically-inclined, here's Canada's current veteran makeup (courtesy of Defence Watch in the Ottawa Citizen):

- 591,900 modern-day Veterans with an average age of 54
- 12,710 Korean War Veterans with an average age of 77 (More than 26,000 Canadians served between 1950 and 1953)
- 163,450 Second World War Veterans with an average age of 86. (More than 1,000,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders served between 1939 and 1945)
- And only one known Veteran of the First World War, Mr. John “Jack” Babcock who celebrated his 109th birthday this year. (More than 650,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders served between 1914 and 1918

In honour of our vets, and my father, uncles, grandfathers and great-grandfathers who participated in various local, regional and worldwide conflicts in the Balkans, I wear a poppy.

A legion member is selling Poppies in the PATH tunnel between Brookfield Place and Union at rush hour. At least I think he is a Legion member. I haven't really gotten a good look at him as he is always swarmed whenever I walk by.

I get it from the local Canadian clubs / the consulate. It's a good way to spot Canadians on the street these couple of weeks.

I always wear the poppy to remember as well as an MCC "To Remember is to Work for Peace" pin.

Back