9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
There wasn't a thread on this topic, Downtown Brampton Streetscape Revitalization, so I've created one. This is the same title used by the CIty of Brampton. There are other downtown Brampton-related topics here:
There was also a reference to this concept during the Brampton 2040 Vision process/study (HT @Northern Light): https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/brampton-2040-vision.28542/

Here is the page by the City for this project and it contains all relevant links:

Except from the construction notice recently posted:

1724793891549.png

The CIty and its politicians will be doing social media on this.

1724794051821.png

1724794063990.png

The original name for this project was "Downtown Reimagined" and HDR was the consultant:

A press release from 2018 mentions that former branding name:

Are there updated renderings? I would like to see the approved design elements.

The last time Downtown Brampton got a major streetscape makeover was in the late 1980s, so this is long overdue. However, I wonder if it will just get dug up again once the LRT extension is funded.

The last time Downtown Brampton got a major streetscape makeover was in the late 1980s, so this is long overdue. However, I wonder if it will just get dug up again once the LRT extension is funded.
The only thing that I can remember is this specific thing which is a RFP for the Heritage Theatre Block. It details maintaining the facade of Heritage Theatre, while adding commercial, retail, and residential (including a hotel) to the new build. The document also details the current buildings and the plans for demolition.

Consulting and Contract Administration Services for the Demolition of the Theatre Block has already taken place, and now they're in the process of Design Build Services for the Demolition of Properties 30-46 and 54-60 Main Street North.

@Allandale25 Maybe you want to add that to your post as well so it doesn't get lost.

Last edited:
There was an open house in July but it looks like the display boards haven't been posted yet. Apologies. I meant to create this thread then in advance of the open house and I forgot.

City of Brampton invites residents to Downtown Streetscape Construction Open House

BRAMPTON, ON – Brampton residents are invited to an upcoming open house to showcase an update and next steps for Downtown Streetscape construction, a fundamental part of the Integrated Downtown Plan (IDP).

This initiative is a significant step in the City's ongoing efforts to revitalize the downtown area, aiming to enhance public spaces, support economic development and improve quality of life for residents.

Streetscape Open House

Date: Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Time: 4 pm to 7 pm

As part of the IDP, the streetscaping initiatives focus on:

- Enhancing the urban environment
- Creating active linkages
- Improving pedestrian experiences

The construction project includes
replacing and widening existing sidewalks with granite pavers, new street furniture and planters and a new bike path.

This is an opportunity to view the planned improvements, ask questions of City staff and learn how the project will benefit the community. Join us to see firsthand the exciting changes
coming to downtown Brampton and to be part of the conversation shaping our city's future.

Learn more at
www.brampton.ca/downtown.ca

MEDIA CONTACT

City of Brampton Media Relations

MediaRelations@Brampton.ca

Took a bit of a determined search, but I found you some renders:

1724856543696.png

1724856583159.png

1724856612289.png

Source, this post on Reddit:
They also have materials and cross sections.

Can Toronto just amalgamate under the City of Brampton please? Maybe then we will finally see construction start on John Street.

To be fair, Toronto has completed many major streetscape projects Bloor (Avenue to Church), Yorkville Avenue, Queen's Quay (west of Bay), and lots of smaller scale projects happen every year.

But I do get the frustration that several high profile ones have taken far too long to materialize, John, downtown Yonge and North York - Yonge among them.

I would note, Brampton transit regularly has overfull buses passing stops doors closed, much higher recreation user fees, and a Library system that is among the most under-resourced in the country for a big city system. So its not all panacea at Main and Queen.

To be fair, Toronto has completed many major streetscape projects Bloor (Avenue to Church), Yorkville Avenue, Queen's Quay (west of Bay), and lots of smaller scale projects happen every year.

But I do get the frustration that several high profile ones have taken far too long to materialize, John, downtown Yonge and North York - Yonge among them.

I would note, Brampton transit regularly has overfull buses passing stops doors closed, much higher recreation user fees, and a Library system that is among the most under-resourced in the country for a big city system. So its not all panacea at Main and Queen.

I joke to vent frustration but good for Brampton in all honesty. Brampton will likely be the centre of population growth in the GTA for the next while and its good to see them trying to create more of an urban city centre.

In spite of my frustration, I remain hopeful Toronto will see momentum on our many planned capital projects soon. We have a lot of great stuff ready to go and I hope the city is slowly working out financing as the dust settles from last year's deal with the province.

Back