8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Smileycelia

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you buy a condo in downtown Toronto and stay there for a year, is it still worth it? Do you think you'd make a profit in a year with the way condo values are increasing? With closings costs, taxes, mortgage interest, legal fees, I wonder what is the minimum amount of time you should own a condo and keep it for it to be worth buying.

Any thoughts out there on this? I noticed that it's not uncommon for people to own a condo for two years before they move onto their next purchase.

Realtor commission, land transfer taxes, lawyer fees, and elevator fees are some drawbacks that I can think of. There are realtors who have 3% or even 1% commissions, but still it is a cost to consider.

With land transfer tax and closing costs when you buy as well as real estate fees and legal fees when you sell, I believe that you will need the value of a condo to increase by a minimum of 10% over a one year period in order to break even. None of us know for sure what will happen over the next year but with a large number of developments finishing up over the next year, I personally do not believe the average unit will increase by 10% over the next year.

Generally no but it depends on the market and how much your unit will appreciate -- and this is difficult to predict over one year. Some people have made handsome profits after 1-2 years but this is far, far from guaranteed.

Some people move out after 2 years precisely because they've seen how much their condo has appreciated and realize they can turn a profit after factoring in costs. Or because they have to due to life changes.

I'm not sure about this but I have heard that buying a pre-construction home is a better value than a condo. Homes probably appreciate in value faster than a condo and you may be able to sell after a year or so.

IMO, with all costs factored in and the massive glut of supply that will hit over the next year, I think it would be unwise as there will be little to no appreciation and possibly some depreciation over the next 2 years.

Renting for the 1 year would be much less risky. I would rent if it was me.

If you are referring to the "risk" of depreciation, I think it is next to unlikely as I think the market has bottomed out and it has no way to go but UP.

If you are referring to the "risk" of depreciation, I think it is next to unlikely as I think the market has bottomed out and it has no way to go but UP.

I think I just vomited into my mouth.

I hope you were being sarcastic?

Back