5.3K     0 

W

wyliepoon

From Yahoo! News:

Link to article

Dubai plans city of 'wonders of the world' replicas

Sat Sep 10, 7:55 AM ET

ra1357317214.jpg

The Eiffel Tower in Paris is seen in this file photo. Dubai will build a city of life-size replicas of the seven wonders of the world. The Falcon City of Wonders will include a replica of the Eiffel Tower. REUTERS/Jack Dabaghian

DUBAI (Reuters) - The Gulf emirate of Dubai will build a city of life-size replicas of seven wonders of the world at an estimated cost of $1.5 billion (1 billion pounds) to house offices, shops and flats, a developer said on Saturday.

The Falcon City of Wonders is the latest of a host of ambitious construction projects in the booming trade hub, which is part of the United Arab Emirates.

Three buildings will be modelled on structures that were part of the original list of the "Seven Wonders of the Ancient World" -- the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

Others will be replicas of more modern wonders -- the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Great Wall of China, a statement said.

The structures will house flats, office space, hotels and shopping malls.

The project is led by the Falcon City of Wonders Company, owned by local businessman Salem al Moosa, a spokesman said. It is part of the multi-billion-dollar Dubailand development, a government-run project to help promote tourism.

There were no details on who would build Falcon City, when construction would begin or how long it would take to finish.

The spokesman said the estimated cost was 5.5 billion dirhams.

UAE property firm Benaa has been contracted to build a 6.5 billion dirham Golf City inside Dubailand, a large sprawl of desert next to Dubai on the Gulf coast.

Las Vegas is bad enough, with a fake New York City skyline, an Eiffel Tower and a Roman Coliseum, but at least they don't pretend to be real, and in some strange way, almost fit.

Dubai's latest plan almost makes me want to barf. Only $1.5 billion for those seven buildings will likely result in cheap knockoffs too.

I love it!

We need Dubai as a cautionary tale, to remind us how healthy "normal" is.

Honestly, I don't know what it would take for news from Dubai to shock me. I've come to expect everything and anything from them.

That photo reminds me: who cares about the Eiffel Tower. Rebuild the Trocadero. Nothing like 1930s stripped-deco-classical clones bouncing around in Dubai and elsewhere

How about building a new wonder with all that money! Nah, that would take actual effort and creativity.

The great wall of china mall! Are they that stupid?

All that oil money and the best they can do is copy stuff. How banal.

Whatever happened to originality?

How about doing something useful with all that cash?

Replicas of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and the Lighthouse of Alexandria may be cool, however, as unlike the other examples, these places no longer exist, and their recreations may prove to be quite beautiful.

As some for the other examples, the Eiffel Tower has already been redone in Vegas (making Dubai doubly unoriginal), and if you're already flying to Dubai, why wouldn't you just see the real Pyramids in Egypt?

Wow, it's like Miniature Village in Pickering or a mini golf course! I'd like to see it once.

thx:

Dubai will be the new, New York. They have the money, they control the world.

Not really - NY is a hotbed of creativity and one of the centres of global finance - Dubai is none of the above. Having cash alone doesn't do anything to ensure one's position in the grand scheme of things.

GB

Dubai is so ridiculous. The good news is the desert will no doubt consume these sand castles one day.

"Dubai will be the new, New York."

Faux monuments and shopping malls will make this anything but New York.

Back