9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

MBS

Member Bio
Reaction score
While thinking about better ways of getting around the city I stumbled upon electric bikes called E-Bikes. It seems these are getting quite popular downtown and because I will once again be living downtown without a car soon, I am seriously considering buying one.

For those who have never really looked into what an E-Bike is, it is:

- classified as a bicycle
- no license, no gas, very little maintenance, no insurance, no pollution
- to be classified as a bicycle, it is illegal to go over 32km/h, so most E-bikes in Canada don't allow you to go faster. (Ive seen some that can, however)
- they have electric motors, and also pedals
- Sell for around $1000-2000
- the battery can hold up for around 50 km (varies) and needs to be replaces every 2 years
- Must be 16 years old with a helmet

So if anybody has ever used one could you share your experiences? I am looking for more information and reviews about wether or not $1000 is actually worth it. They seem like such a great way to travel short distances around downtown.
The eBike I'm looking into is the Daymak Austin (or Veloteq Commander - same model, different brand) for $1000
redaustinfrx.jpg

500d_lrt-frt_grn.jpg

sho-gt_red-blk_lft-frt_web.jpg

And if anyone is interested, there are dealers at 1542 bloor W, 115 Richmond E, Jarvis&Esplanade, and in the distillery district.

My only issue with E-bikes are that there is no legal distinction between those mounted on a scooter-style frame (e-bikes) and regular bikes with bolt-on electric motors (power-assisted bikes). I don't think that e-bikes should be allowed on bike lanes or recreational trails due to their size, width and speed.

Other than that I have only heard good things about E-Bikes. They're popular, versatile and pollution free - just stay the hell out of my bike lane :p

Yeah, I have the same problem with the moped-style E-Bikes that RR191 mentions - the pedals are there, it seems to me, mainly to show "see, it's a bike, it has pedals!". The power-assisted bikes, with a battery and throttle on a more-or-less recognizable bike frame is something else altogether - more to assist in hill climbing and speed - supplementing human power, not substituting for it.

- to be classified as a bicycle, it is illegal to go over 32km/h, so most E-bikes in Canada don't allow you to go faster. (Ive seen some that can, however)
Does that mean I'm breaking the law when I'm going over 32km/h on my bicycle?

It seems that these are to cycling what the Segway is to walking. If you can't ride a bike for some reason, or you're lazy, then they could be be useful. Otherwise, self propulsion is better for you, more reliable, more maneuverable and cheaper.

I used a limited speed scooter (gas, although there were electric versions too) to explore the countryside and the city in Holland and it was great. they were basically treated as bikes. You didn't need to wear a helmet. I didn't have a problem whether using paths or lanes as a cyclist (when the slow scooters went by) or on the scooters.

Going back to Canada and looking into e-bikes, scooters, and mopeds I found the rules we have all seem kind of silly (just like with electric cars) as if we are the first place to try this so we should be super-cautious.

Spacing notes that one problem here is that the lanes are much smaller so it's harder to pass/share etc
http://spacing.ca/wire/2009/02/27/can-bikes-and-scooters-get-along/

I've been looking for some sort of scooter/bike for a while, and was looking at Mopeds and Vespas and other assorted thingamajigs (which is apparently a word in the english language!) This seems like a good, environmentally friendly alternative to those. I'll definitely be looking into these a bit, because I'm against owning a car for a loong while (until I have kids or hit 35, whichever comes first.) I'll have to take a look at the specs though, because it sounds like there are a couple of drawbacks that might make me just stick with my bike for now :p

I've actually never heard of E-Bikes until I saw this thread, so thanks a lot for the info MBS! :)

My only issue with E-bikes are that there is no legal distinction between those mounted on a scooter-style frame (e-bikes) and regular bikes with bolt-on electric motors (power-assisted bikes). I don't think that e-bikes should be allowed on bike lanes or recreational trails due to their size, width and speed.

Other than that I have only heard good things about E-Bikes. They're popular, versatile and pollution free - just stay the hell out of my bike lane :p

You're right! there arent very many ground rules seperating the two. But think of it from an E-bikers perspective - too slow and dangerous on alot of roads (but fine on quieter streets) but too fast for bike lanes. Where do they go?

Yeah, I have the same problem with the moped-style E-Bikes that RR191 mentions - the pedals are there, it seems to me, mainly to show "see, it's a bike, it has pedals!". The power-assisted bikes, with a battery and throttle on a more-or-less recognizable bike frame is something else altogether - more to assist in hill climbing and speed - supplementing human power, not substituting for it.

The pedals are to technically classify it as a bike, and saves riders insurance and having to get a license. But beyond that I've heard people use it for going up hills and bringing their max speed well above the bike's limit. Its as if its a moped with "pedal-assist" :)

Does that mean I'm breaking the law when I'm going over 32km/h on my bicycle?

It seems that these are to cycling what the Segway is to walking. If you can't ride a bike for some reason, or you're lazy, then they could be be useful. Otherwise, self propulsion is better for you, more reliable, more maneuverable and cheaper.

I think the point of E-bikes aren't specifically for lazy people, but to fill the gap between biking and riding a motercycle. I mean, I dont see myself lazy at all but I feel like this is an excellent way to go a medium distance to class everyday. I just see biking too inconvenient and slow, walking even slower, and TTC too expensive over time.
Hahaha no your not breaking the law. its just for E-bikes becuase they are powered by a motor.

I used a limited speed scooter (gas, although there were electric versions too) to explore the countryside and the city in Holland and it was great. they were basically treated as bikes. You didn't need to wear a helmet. I didn't have a problem whether using paths or lanes as a cyclist (when the slow scooters went by) or on the scooters.

Going back to Canada and looking into e-bikes, scooters, and mopeds I found the rules we have all seem kind of silly (just like with electric cars) as if we are the first place to try this so we should be super-cautious.

Spacing notes that one problem here is that the lanes are much smaller so it's harder to pass/share etc
http://spacing.ca/wire/2009/02/27/can-bikes-and-scooters-get-along/

Thanks for the insight! Canadian roads definitely aren't built for E-bikers but hopefully we can learn from our European friends. I travelled to Italy a while back and mopeds were everywhere!

I've been looking for some sort of scooter/bike for a while, and was looking at Mopeds and Vespas and other assorted thingamajigs (which is apparently a word in the english language!) This seems like a good, environmentally friendly alternative to those. I'll definitely be looking into these a bit, because I'm against owning a car for a loong while (until I have kids or hit 35, whichever comes first.) I'll have to take a look at the specs though, because it sounds like there are a couple of drawbacks that might make me just stick with my bike for now :p

I've actually never heard of E-Bikes until I saw this thread, so thanks a lot for the info MBS! :)

Your welcome :) If you need any info about them, dont hesitate to ask! I'm going to try to test-drive one of these babies soon :)

E-bikes vs E-scooters

I still don't understand the appeal of scooter-style e-bikes. Sure, they have the power assist advantage, but why not just have a *regular* bicycle with power-assist?

juergen_ebike1.jpg

A regular bike with power assist has many advantages over the "scooter" style bikes:

* Easier to attach bicycle accessories
* More cargo options available (racks/panniers, baskets, trailers, etc. that are already designed for bikes)
* More possibilities to take them on transit
* Easier to lug in/outof buildings, parking areas, etc.
* If your motor dies or the battery runs out, they are MUCH easier to pedal
* Typically lighter
* Many e-assist kits can be transferred between bikes without too much effort.
* Being a "normal" bike, most parts can be easily fixed at any bike shop, not just specialty stores
* Set up any kind of bike you want with e-assist, not limited to just the few configuration that the scooter-peddlers make avilable.

I really can't think of a single advantage of the scooter-style bikes.

When I get old and less-able to cart myself around, I will probably consider a power-assisted bike, but it will probably just be an add-on to an existing bike.

But I would think having the heavy battery on his rear rack, in that photo, would pose a balancing problem.

But I would think having the heavy battery on his rear rack, in that photo, would pose a balancing problem.

Nah...I've had much heavier loads on my bikes than some battery packs. Actually, I've brought home much heavier UPSs and batteries by bike. Or groceries, touring loads, etc. A single heavy pannier on one side of the bike doesn't really affect balance as much as some people think.

Also depends on where you place the battery. If it's on top of your rear rack, that shouldn't be an issue, unless it's really heavy and somehow placed far behind your rear axle. Other e-bikes have the battery pack mounted within the frame triangle, which is probably ideal.

If anyone does end up buying an ebike, please give us your experience. I'm interested in getting on (Sick of pedalling up St. Clair hill on Yonge).

My main concern is getting an inefficient bike which either takes forever to charge or has abysmal battery performance.

I know everyone should avoid the ebikes with Lead-Acid (car) batteries. The Lithium-Ion batteries seem overpriced though. Even compared to Laptop battery standards.

My main concern is getting an inefficient bike which either takes forever to charge or has abysmal battery performance.

From what I've read, the battery tends to last 30-50km's depending on weight, speed, etc. I'm not certain about how long it takes to charge, but I would guess a few hours.

I nearly got run over by three of these bikes on the Martin Goodman Trail yesterday. I know it's a bike trail, but they are pretty big and go fast.

Back