What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Visited The Colombian - Mill Creek this afternoon. To quote The Terminator - "I'll be back!"
BTW my first pic includes what was once the Bateman Lands with the fencing gone.

20240113_135520.jpg
20240113_135514.jpg
20240113_135510.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed the Columbian yesterday—I had no idea that was there. I would have loved that about 15 years ago when I lived in the King Edwards apartments just south of there. Is there anything out there for the rest of that building or is it still for lease? I have no idea what it's like inside but assuming you could cut open that brick wall and put some big sliding glass doors in, you could have a pretty banging patio space.

Address: 8904 - 99 STREET NW
Planner Description: The City has received a rezoning application from Situate Inc. The current zone is a Direct Control Zone (DC2.1153) and the proposed zone is the Medium Scale Residential Zone (RM h28.0) which would allow: -Mid-rise multi-unit residential development with optional commercial opportunities at the ground level -A maximum height of 28.0 meters (approx. 8 storeys) -A maximum floor area ratio of 3.8 - 5.2 In The City Plan the site is located within the 99 Street secondary corridor.
Planner Contact: saffron.newton@edmonton.ca
File Number: LDA24-0132

Pangman Development Corporation has applied to rezone an empty lot in Strathcona at 8904 99 Street NW, the former site of the Wild Earth Cafe and Bakery and the Wild Earth Foods grocery store. The rezoning would allow for an eight-storey building with the option to include commercial bays at ground level. The current zoning allows for a 10-storey building with mandatory commercial bays on the ground floor. Several area residents oppose the rezoning due to the proposed shift from mandatory street-side commercial. The site has sat fallow since 2017, when the cafe, grocery store (which dated back 85 years), and other amenities were closed and eventually demolished to make way for a proposed 31-storey luxury tower from Bateman Properties. That project is now scratched.

It would be a major disappointment if they didn't have ground level retail units.

It's been such a loss for that community and wider area; here's hoping they get going soon to restore this community hub.

It would be a major disappointment if they didn't have ground level retail units.
100%. I find it nearly impossible to believe that a developer could not fill retail units in this location if they're serious about it. Just look at Beljan across the street, or the plethora of others, it's a great little pocket for small scale grocery or other. This should absolutely stay mandated to have commercial on the ground level

100%. I find it nearly impossible to believe that a developer could not fill retail units in this location if they're serious about it. Just look at Beljan across the street, or the plethora of others, it's a great little pocket for small scale grocery or other. This should absolutely stay mandated to have commercial on the ground level
Yes, stick to it on this one. No excuses for more back sliding.

It's one thing to not develop commercial in an area because you're not sure it can work, it's another to not develop it even though you know it can, given that the location had multiple successful businesses operating there previously.

The City should be firm in requiring commercial for this property.

No, mandate the whole d*mn thing! This is one situation where the city needs to not let developers push them over too much.

There was a lot of retail there before, it was part of what made it a healthy neighbourhood and its return was what was proposed in the approval of the original redevelopment.

Some things should be non negotiable

I do believe they should have some retail (and it's marketable) but to mandate the entire podium is not ideal.
That's also fair. Seems like there's a pretty easy compromise here - mandate retail on the corner facing 99 St & 89 Ave, call it 50% of the podium. Both sides unhappy, which usually means the compromise worked well.

Back