I was talking about building close to NAIT when referring to the school. That's good to hear, I'm glad a road connection will be done shortly.
Ah! Misunderstood the school part. It seems like admin is now focused on the right thing by shifting its focus a little more to the east side.

Although speaking of school, I would love to see them expedite the development of a field and playground by the indigenous school. Would make the community a lot more livable.

Does anyone know why the setbacks are so large in blatchford? Feels so much less urban because of this. At least give people bigger backyards if the lots are so long.
EDA6EEE2-C768-4E0B-9C87-98D4AE988984.jpeg

Does anyone know why the setbacks are so large in blatchford? Feels so much less urban because of this. At least give people bigger backyards if the lots are so long. View attachment 589538
That’s not a road in that picture so that’s somewhat of an anomaly in the neighbourhood in terms of set back, but in general the distance seems to mostly be because of the green strip between the roads and the sidewalks

That’s not a road in that picture so that’s somewhat of an anomaly in the neighbourhood in terms of set back, but in general the distance seems to mostly be because of the green strip between the roads and the sidewalks
This is the answer. The street in the foreground is pedestrian only, so it gives a bit more of a park feel with the setback. If you look in the background, you’ll see fairly small setbacks when measured from the sidewalk.

It this doesn’t allow for the real NYC brownstone feel, but does allow a few more trees, which is nice.

Yeah, I know it’s pedestrian only, which I feel like makes the setback even more noticeable because larger setbacks are usually done for bigger/faster roads.

And the setbacks are the same on the block up from the pedestrian block, it just has a boulevard and sidewalks, but still a large setback from the road. Idk, just feels like wasted land that won’t be well utilized. This is the same as a suburban townhouse complex at this point still sadly.

It's nothing special at the moment, but I imagine once the trees fully mature many years down the line and create a canopy, it would look and feel really nice.
Given the placement of the trees, not sure if that will actually turn out. Boulevard trees are not as close to the houses but by the sidewalk.

Does anyone know why the setbacks are so large in blatchford? Feels so much less urban because of this. At least give people bigger backyards if the lots are so long. View attachment 589538

Exactly. How is ETS allowed to run 1-car trains during rush hour? That should be criminal.

I actually don't mind the wide setback here funnily enough, and I love enclosed streets with small setbacks! Whenever I bike though Yorke Mews, it has this nice "park path" vibe that I think will get much cooler as the trees grow and make a canopy. I do hope and think that other streets in Blatchford will have smaller setbacks and a more urban feel.

That's really just the Mews, though. The houses are aligned with the ones just up the block where there's an actual street with on street parking and sidewalks. The actual setback from the municipal right of way is no larger. The front yard of the Landmark homes on the right is roughly from that step up approximately 2/3 of the way up the sidewalk. The houses out of frame on the left have front fences which make it much more clear where the ROW ends and the front yard begins.

The setback between our new place and the actual street is quite small, since we're not on the Mews.

Given the placement of the trees, not sure if that will actually turn out. Boulevard trees are not as close to the houses but by the sidewalk.
In 12-15 years those elms will be big enough to provide a wonderful tree lined promenade. Just watch. In fact I expect those elms to do really well given the amount of space they have for their roots to grow.

In 12-15 years those elms will be big enough to provide a wonderful tree lined promenade. Just watch. In fact I expect those elms to do really well given the amount of space they have for their roots to grow.
They may not grow as fast as you think with the low CO2 in the neighbourhood 🙂

Last edited:

Back