Very interesting and contrary to my expectations. I figured Blatchford would have mostly been owner-occupiers that are willing to pay the Blatchford premium and that investors would be scared off by all the "frills" that would bring down the ROI.
Yes, that is interesting. Presumably those investors, perhaps some from out of town, see the premium or value going up in the future. I think owner-occupiers here have been conditioned by years of little or no price increases so they are in no rush. I guess time will tell which perspective is right.

I recently saw a YT realtor talk about one of the downsides of St.Albert being constantly increasing commute times.

It's a slow creep, but eventually sprawl becomes a mind numbing, and painful thing to all those that participate in it.

These same things happened in Vancouver, and now the geniuses are the ones that bought in the West End neighbourhood instead of getting a slightly bigger house in Burnaby or Richmond.

I don't see how there is any upside to living far out of the core if you're buying a 1:1 house.
Yes a trip downtown to near the convention center use to take me about 40-45. Then the increase in traffic from the closed 149stvand the addition of 2 more traffic lights brought my commute to just about 58 min.compared to my new commute to the far south side Ellerslie road and about 97 St is 30 min.

Very insightful. The “improve entrances” note is a good one. Blatchford is an island currently. Exciting off kingsway into it should feel like any new suburb imo with some nice big, clear, beautiful signage.
I really hope they move that big "construction zone, PPE required" sign soon. It makes it seems like none of the neighbourhood is habitable yet.
Screenshot_20231006-085418_Maps.jpg

Sure it is. Rinse, wring, repeat.

A third-party review of Blatchford conducted by Gettel Appraisals found the overall pace of home sales is “reasonable,” with 85.6% of homes constructed being sold. Gettel also concluded that both lot and home pricing are “appropriate” given the context of Blatchford being “a public policy guided development area.” Administration says it is seeing “significant interest” from existing and new homebuilders and it is already planning to address all of Gettel’s recommendations. To help with affordability, administration recommends looking into the opportunity for smaller housing units, reviewing architectural design guidelines to help lower the cost of construction, and investigating bringing larger sections of land to market to attract large homebuilders.
-Taproot

See guys! Even though we've done 0.7% of what we proposed in our business plan so far, we're doing reasonable!

They would look great. Unfortunately the location is pretty bad in my opinion. No train connection, north end of St.Albert near the trail.

I do hope that when LRT is built to the edge of Edmonton towards St.Albert that St.Albert also decides to start construction of the line in their jurisdiction
Unless there's a huge cultural shift in St. Albert, they're never going to let an LRT line into the city.

Unless there's a huge cultural shift in St. Albert, they're never going to let an LRT line into the city.
They actually have a very solid plan and case studies for that. They spent quite some time and money on that, and their trigger to make that connection would be Edmonton bringing the line to their city limits.

They actually have a very solid plan and case studies for that. They spent quite some time and money on that, and their trigger to make that connection would be Edmonton bringing the line to their city limits.
I don't want as a taxpayer to bring the line to the St. Albert city limits ... unless GoA and Feds pay for that extension. Otherwise omit the last stop.

Back