Capture.PNG

Seems like good progress to me....is there that much land serviced ready to go that makes this such a disappointment?

Considering the first residents only moved in, what, 3 years ago? And the attention to higher build quality than your average particle-wood home on the edges, I think it’s fine. Could be moving on a bit faster, but it isn’t the end of the world. I get that many are anxious to see this community come to life (so am I) but Blatchford was always supposed to have a 30-year build out. Which isn’t terribly unusual. It took longer for neighbourhoods like the Highlands and Inglewood to build out. I do think finally getting some multi-family development going will help a lot.

I'm happy with this being a slow burn development if it means sticking to the initial vision of the space, the neighborhood is starting to take shape more and more and I've liked what little bits we've seen, once a few more blocks are built and they manage to integrate it more into the surrounding neighborhoods I think its going to be one of the cities best areas.

I'm happy with this being a slow burn development if it means sticking to the initial vision of the space, the neighborhood is starting to take shape more and more and I've liked what little bits we've seen, once a few more blocks are built and they manage to integrate it more into the surrounding neighborhoods I think its going to be one of the cities best areas.
Only risk with slow build is it losing momentum. Part of its selling feature is the “Vision” That’s not yet a reality. It taking 5 years to build to a reasonable place, fair. But 10+ and you start to wonder why you paid 680k for a townhouse that still requires you to own 2 cars, there’s constant dirt/noise from construction, no amenities are walkable, and your kids don’t have a school to walk to. (And I’m not saying all of blatchford done in 10 years, but 30% of it…enough for it to feel “finished” in the southern parts). At that point…Why live here? Build a net zero house in westmount or highlands and you’re better off. The LRT access will be less of a sell too as both valley lines open and make dozens of communities walkable to the train. Currently that’s something blatchford could sell as a more unique feature. Same with bike lanes. Great to see them from day 1 here, but bike lanes are being added everywhere. Medium density and mixed use? The new zoning is bringing that to most of Edmonton soon.

The rest of the central city might become “blatchford” before blatchford does if they don’t keep momentum high. Green, dense, walkable, good biking and transit. University district in Calgary should be our marker to quickly get to.

Only risk with slow build is it losing momentum. Part of its selling feature is the “Vision” That’s not yet a reality. It taking 5 years to build to a reasonable place, fair. But 10+ and you start to wonder why you paid 680k for a townhouse that still requires you to own 2 cars, there’s constant dirt/noise from construction, no amenities are walkable, and your kids don’t have a school to walk to. (And I’m not saying all of blatchford done in 10 years, but 30% of it…enough for it to feel “finished” in the southern parts). At that point…Why live here? Build a net zero house in westmount or highlands and you’re better off. The LRT access will be less of a sell too as both valley lines open and make dozens of communities walkable to the train. Currently that’s something blatchford could sell as a more unique feature. Same with bike lanes. Great to see them from day 1 here, but bike lanes are being added everywhere. Medium density and mixed use? The new zoning is bringing that to most of Edmonton soon.

The rest of the central city might become “blatchford” before blatchford does if they don’t keep momentum high. Green, dense, walkable, good biking and transit. University district in Calgary should be our marker to quickly get to.
University District in Calgary? Why would we want that? Please elaborate.....

The Blatchford LRT extension is under construction and won’t take much longer to be done.

The University District in Calgary is great as it’s own bubble and is in good proximity to the UofC, hospitals, and Market Mall. But… getting there by transit is a pain. 45mins from Downtown Calgary, which isn’t even that far away. I get why they built the NW leg of the C-Train where they did, but in hindsight, it stupidly misses the bulk of the UofC, the various big hospitals, Market Mall, and now the University District, all of which would be great trip generators and should be part of the C-Train network. At least Blatchford will have direct LRT access.

The Blatchford LRT extension is under construction and won’t take much longer to be done.

The University District in Calgary is great as it’s own bubble and is in good proximity to the UofC, hospitals, and Market Mall. But… getting there by transit is a pain. 45mins from Downtown Calgary, which isn’t even that far away. I get why they built the NW leg of the C-Train where they did, but in hindsight, it stupidly misses the bulk of the UofC, the various big hospitals, Market Mall, and now the University District, all of which would be great trip generators and should be part of the C-Train network. At least Blatchford will have direct LRT access.
Comment on the LRT vs C-Train: while their network is, obviously, larger, our LRT is substantially better designed in terms of connecting the major travel generators and integrating the city.

Back to Blatchford: I wonder if the LRT station being operational will help it pick up some momentum, especially for multifamily developments.

Comment on the LRT vs C-Train: while their network is, obviously, larger, our LRT is substantially better designed in terms of connecting the major travel generators and integrating the city.

Back to Blatchford: I wonder if the LRT station being operational will help it pick up some momentum, especially for multifamily developments.
Well they better construct a road and/or shared use path from the existing residents to the LRT station or else it'll be a huge hassle for residents to access it.

100% agree. While they were able to get more track laid quickly, it was also done in the most cost-effective way, which yeah, does mean that the routing is not as good as ours. It’s not as bad as a lot of American systems, but for as backwards the designs of the Kingsway and Southgate stations are, none of them are as annoying as Chinook or completely missed like Market. Our main university has two stations and they’re right in the thick of campus, rather than on the edge of it.

I still have my issues with the routing and design of our LRT, but there aren’t as many glaring oversights that are just stupid like Calgary has.

100% agree. While they were able to get more track laid quickly, it was also done in the most cost-effective way, which yeah, does mean that the routing is not as good as ours. It’s not as bad as a lot of American systems, but for as backwards the designs of the Kingsway and Southgate stations are, none of them are as annoying as Chinook or completely missed like Market. Our main university has two stations and they’re right in the thick of campus, rather than on the edge of it.

I still have my issues with the routing and design of our LRT, but there aren’t as many glaring oversights that are just stupid like Calgary has.

Both Southgate and Kingsway were a sad result of the management/ownership not wanting a direct connection with the mall for "safety" reasons. But to your point about cost-effectiveness, Reece, from RMTransit says one thing that I agree: having the underground section downtown and at the U of A might have cost us a few km in terms of extension, but will facilitate growth in the long term, considering that with the right technology, headways could be as short as 90 seconds (which would allow for, say, 4 lines crossing the tunnels every with 6 minutes headways for each, for example) and it allow makes densification easier, because of that.

Now, back to Blatchford, as much as NAIT needs housing, I don't know how fast they'll be able to build it in order to push the city into improving access to the station.

Well they better construct a road and/or shared use path from the existing residents to the LRT station or else it'll be a huge hassle for residents to access it.
They’ve been doing a ton of work this construction season on the infrastructure for the NAIT lands. Last I checked, it appeared they were constructing the road from the energy centre to NAIT.

Not direct to the LRT, but better than going around on Kingsway/Princess Elizabeth. I’m not sure why they didn’t prioritize a direct road and shared use path to the LRT station…

Both Southgate and Kingsway were a sad result of the management/ownership not wanting a direct connection with the mall for "safety" reasons. But to your point about cost-effectiveness, Reece, from RMTransit says one thing that I agree: having the underground section downtown and at the U of A might have cost us a few km in terms of extension, but will facilitate growth in the long term, considering that with the right technology, headways could be as short as 90 seconds (which would allow for, say, 4 lines crossing the tunnels every with 6 minutes headways for each, for example) and it allow makes densification easier, because of that.

Now, back to Blatchford, as much as NAIT needs housing, I don't know how fast they'll be able to build it in order to push the city into improving access to the station.
Having support from the Province to have NAIT build student residences may be an obstacle (or not) and having the private sector build and operate student residences on NAIT lands with long term land lease may be one solution. I would think many approaches may be under active consideration given the enormous investment the Feds are going to pour into job training of workers now in the fossil fuel work force to employment in clean(er?) energy, AI and the new tech industry. Edmonton, NAIT and UofA likely to benefit significantly possibly more than any other city in Western Canada.

They need to construct 118 Ave from Kingsway to 109 St c/w bike lanes and transit-only lanes. If the city won't do this then it's another missed opportunity if you ask me.

Back