The BIGGEST difference between University District and Blatchford is the location where they decided to initiate development. The decision to start Blatchford where it is was based on the proximity to services (less cost). As development advances east-southeast towards NAIT and the LRT Station it will take on a similar builtform to what we see in University District. That is the way it is.

The BIGGEST difference between University District and Blatchford is the location where they decided to initiate development. The decision to start Blatchford where it is was based on the proximity to services (less cost). As development advances east-southeast towards NAIT and the LRT Station it will take on a similar builtform to what we see in University District. That is the way it is.

A closed airport helped matters! ;)

I can't link specific memos, but here's the latest one about Blatchford.
Screenshot_20240627_144528_Drive.png
Screenshot_20240627_144532_Drive.png
Screenshot_20240627_144538_Drive.png
Screenshot_20240627_144544_Drive.png
Screenshot_20240627_144549_Drive.png

Why is this country allergic to bollards that are embedded in the ground?

Edit: I emailed the city and suggested using crash rated, concrete embedded bollards for here and all bollards going forward. The maintenance costs alone are worth it. But isn't this also just terribly unsightly? Crash rated bollards don't break.
PXL_20240630_203729726.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Edit: I emailed the city and suggested using crash rated, concrete embedded bollards for here and all bollards going forward. The maintenance costs alone are worth it. But isn't this also just terribly unsightly? Crash rated bollards don't break.
View attachment 576679

Someone went to alot of trouble. It looks like they were unbolted.

View attachment 576679
My understanding is that these were removed to allow for builder activity - this wasn’t a case of a car knocking them off. Not sure why they didn’t put them back in after… but the point stands that these bollards are a strange choice.

They were definitely unbolted. My issue with them is that they're just held down with flush anchors. We see these get ripped out all over the place, or bumped by cars.

Why isn't the standard to install real bollards? These cost more to repair and replace constantly.

They were definitely unbolted. My issue with them is that they're just held down with flush anchors. We see these get ripped out all over the place, or bumped by cars.

Why isn't the standard to install real bollards? These cost more to repair and replace constantly.
In this location? The city requirement was that the bollards be break-away so the fire department is able to access the front of any home on Yorke Mews. This is despite the fact that at least while I lived there, any time emergency services needed to attend to any unit they would just access via the alleyways.

In this location? The city requirement was that the bollards be break-away so the fire department is able to access the front of any home on Yorke Mews. This is despite the fact that at least while I lived there, any time emergency services needed to attend to any unit they would just access via the alleyways.

Was just in Portugal.

They have automated bollards in pedestrian zones that allow for emergency or delivery vehicles. I saw them several times going up and down.

Also saw them in an area to allow buses to go through.

Was just in Portugal.

They have automated bollards in pedestrian zones that allow for emergency or delivery vehicles. I saw them several times going up and down.

Also saw them in an area to allow buses to go through.
Know if anywhere with our winters has these? Id imagine that makes them hard to install here

Know if anywhere with our winters has these? Id imagine that makes them hard to install here
Well Bollard Canada is in the business - not sure how their product performs.

Here is a great case study and a good comp of what Toronto is doing to convert the Downsview airport into new development lands.

While comps are never perfect, it is key to note here that development is run by Northcrest, which is backed by a Canadian pension fund, PSP Investments. The article also notes a few other airport conversion in Berlin and Santa Monica that are either a public-private partnership, or are private done by private developers. NONE OF THOSE CONVERSIONS ARE BEING LED BY AND WATERED DOWN BY THEIR RESPECTIVE MUNICIPALITIES.

1720559457630.png

Back