What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
As in “break ground” on the Village the second the new facility opens in conjunction with Boyles date with a wrecking ball…..yes please
Could be sooner with the empty parking lots getting underway once the new facility breaks ground and they are 100% confident in the move. Question is what is the latest vision for the area north of the arena.

• Boyle Street Community Services announced that the city’s subdivision appeal board has upheld its development permit for the new King Thunderbird Centre, also called okimaw peyesew kamik, at 107A Avenue and 101 Street. Executive director Jordan Reiniger said the agency has addressed issues with its previous permit, which had been revoked, and was able to negotiate conditions with members of the surrounding community that satisfied their concerns. In late May, Reiniger explained at a hearing that the facility will deliver health-related services to people but will not be a shelter. Boyle Street says it has successfully reached 80% of its fundraising goal for the project without government support - Taproot

If a client is is needing health-related help, they will be allowed to use the facilities like showers etc. Under the DP it can not be used as a shelter. They'd need a different permit for that.

Not the best look, but without details it is hard to really evaluate.
---

'Not financially viable': Boyle Street to close downtown Edmonton location when lease expires
"We've known for a long time that September 30 was the date that we would be required to leave. So we've been prepared for this and we're aware of this for a while"

Author of the article: Matthew Black

---

'Not financially viable': Boyle Street to close downtown Edmonton location when lease expires
"We've known for a long time that September 30 was the date that we would be required to leave. So we've been prepared for this and we're aware of this for a while"

agreed not the greatest look but a lot of things didn't go Boyle Streets way with getting their new facility under way which would have lessened the blow.

Boyle Street also drove a hard bargain for this property and got way over market value. They had gone as far as submitting and getting approved permits for a full renovation of the current building. I feel like that was more of a "if we don't get what we want, we will just stay and renovate."

Lots of variables on both sides.

I’m confused……oh well……bring on the wrecking ball and Smith’s promise of dollars to “help with Ice Districts’s Phase 2” infrastructure build.” You know, to match YYC’s bucket load of cash they’re getting

---

Does anyone understand why the lease wasn't considered financially viable at 1 dollar per month as leased by the OEG? From the article, it sounds like the OEG was willing to extend the same lease rate they were given in 2021 for an additional year to bridge their transition to their new facility.

I REALLY hope there's more to this story than what I'm seeing, and that this isn't something like political posturing to obtain the extra financing required from the province for the new facility.

I think commercial leases often put stuff like maintenance, utilities, taxes as part of the responsibility.

I think commercial leases often put stuff like maintenance, utilities, taxes as part of the responsibility.
That would explain things. If the building is constantly dealing with flood repairs that would cost an arm and a leg.

Also there could have been other conversations around managing disorder that Boyle wasn't ready to agree to. OEG is having to deal with negative feedback from some of the Fan Park experiences by international guests and there might have been some expectations there Boyle couldn't or didn't want to meet.

That would explain things. If the building is constantly dealing with flood repairs that would cost an arm and a leg.
it also wouldn’t surprise me knowing how many times they have had to deal with floods (and had to close the building while they did) that they are no longer able to get insurance. if that’s the case, it also wouldn’t surprise me if this was simply a matter of their deciding that the risks to self insuring those losses with a limited amount of capital that is already committed to their new building simply want fiscally prudent. given that a flood would also close the building and that it would make no sense to remediate a building they’re leaving in a matter of months, at least this way they can plan for not having a permanent base of operations with a time frame of their choosing instead of leaving it to chance.

it also wouldn’t surprise me knowing how many times they have had to deal with floods (and had to close the building while they did) that they are no longer able to get insurance. if that’s the case, it also wouldn’t surprise me if this was simply a matter of their deciding that the risks to self insuring those losses with a limited amount of capital that is already committed to their new building simply want fiscally prudent. given that a flood would also close the building and that it would make no sense to remediate a building they’re leaving in a matter of months, at least this way they can plan for not having a permanent base of operations with a time frame of their choosing instead of leaving it to chance.
That seems like a logical decision. The timing is pretty rough with winter coming and whatnot.

I don’t know a thing about commercial leasing, but it seems wrong that tenants should have to cover the costs of remediation regardless of cause. It would make more sense for the property owner to cover insurance for the facility, and for the tenant to insure improvements and items of ownership. How it is sounds unethical.

Back