What do you think of this project?

• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
And yet the rules were changed SPECIFICALLY for one person. Who happens to donate A LOT OF MONEY... Cough, cough, Conflict of Interest... EVEN MORE SIMPLE. IT'S A CRIME!
for the record, i have never donated ANY money to any municipal politician nor has any company i have controlled or had any ownership position in. the only crime to be seen in this thread is your slander and libel.

I never said it wasn't nice or needed. It is. But I am pretty sure a $750,000 taxpayer bill wasn't going to sink or swim this project. And if it was I worry for the developers finances...
My goodness, that looks atrocious. Thank you for helping to preserve our history with this project; you're doing future generations of Edmontonions a great service.

I never said it wasn't nice or needed. It is. But I am pretty sure a $750,000 taxpayer bill wasn't going to sink or swim this project. And if it was I worry for the developers finances...
I'm not getting involved in this argument; I'm responding to the pictures which got posted. It's not often that I can express my gratitude for the preservation and restoration of a historic structure directly to the developer responsible.

@ION I'm not a moderator or anything, and @Daveography can come for me if I'm overstepping, but let's please keep it civil and refrain from personal attacks, especially if you're not able to either support and defend coherently such accusations. It is not the kind of behavior we want on this forum and it is a far cry from what EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US do here. @kcantor was nothing short of extremely respectful and provided more details than any of us is entitled to know, regarding the financial aspect of his business and the dealings with the city. I believe I speak for everyone here when I say that you should apologize to him for your rude behavior, to say the least.

Also, you mentioned the Paramount and, if you ever red the whole discussions, you'll see that some of the contributors to the forum have entertained the idea of restoring/repurposing the building and the challenges of doing so have been discussed to a very deep extent. It is not viable and the best thing to do is, maybe, honor that heritage and keep the façade, maybe build the podium as an entertainment venue with a small museum of the performing/cinematic arts in Edmonton, etc. What has been done to the Brighton and the adjacent Pendennis Hotel buildings is nothing short of monumental in terms of preservation and renewal, not only for the buildings themselves, but for the whole area. These wo buildings can be, along with the Flatiron and the Grierson Centre (which has a very bright future ahead, if my sources are accurate, more on that in the future), the main catalysts of that area's renewal and if the CoE is seeing this than yeah, I'm happy they're giving incentives to people as invested in preserving Edmonton's history and making our city a better place as @kcantor.

The majority of the contributors in this forum are really dedicated to not only debating, but actively working on the preservation of our heritage, the Archibald, on Whyte Ave, is a prime example of how many of us are willing to reject even the best, most tasteful projects, to preserve a piece of Edmonton's history. Accusing us of not caring for it and, more than that, making it personal with people, is offensive to everyone and puts you in the same level of the people from "that other forum" you mentioned in another thread. Don't be them!

One for Ken.
Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 9.40.07 PM.png

Not to worry... that shot should be at the beginning of every thread to remind everyone of the importance of detail and good execution! At the end of the day those things we walk past and interact with are way more important than unrealistic birds’ eye perspectives and renderings that no one will ever see (or ever see how inaccurate they were).

@Ken

What's the story with the building our project? Is there any plans to rehabilitate that building?

That cinder block wall would make for an excellent blank canvas. I could see a nice painting of the history of that area including things like the Arcade.

Back