What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
CmAfqTUUgAA-MvN.jpg:large

Elise Stolte ‏@estolte 2 minutes ago
Emerald passes. Oliver will have a new 45-storey tower. Here's the vote. pic.twitter.com/TzhDeRRVOB

Nailed it.

THE EMERALD: AIMING HIGHER
To date, Edmonton has never seen a residential building of the scale that City Council approved at its Public Hearing on Monday night. At 45 stories, the Emerald will be four times higher and double the density than the current zoning allows. When it’s all said and done, it will add 500+ people to the Oliver neighbourhood. If you take those two facts in isolation – a taller building and more people downtown – this should have been slam dunk decision for me.

Only it wasn’t.

When we consider buildings of this scale, I believe our standards must rise accordingly. Through a decision like this, where council is asked to grant a doubling of development potential through upzoning, we ought to expect outstanding design. Council has approved several large towers over the past few years – including the stunning Pearl, by the same developer – that evolve our city’s skyline and bring new people to the core of our city. However, in my entirely subjective view, the configuration of the Emerald’s podium and the sculpting of its tower are not up to the same standard as many other recent tower approvals.

Full Post (Don Iveson's Blog)

I appreciate that he often makes a post like this to explain how he came to a decision on a contentious issue.

Edmonton councillors approve 45-storey Oliver tower over own planners' objections
Council approved a second tower against its planners’ recommendation Monday, leading some councillors to question if they’ve spiked Edmonton’s ability to negotiate with developers in the future.

City planners opposed the 45-storey Emerald Tower because they say the developer is getting a $50-million increase in land value without enough benefit going back to the neighbourhood.

But council approved it anyway, the second time this spring they’ve over-ruled their planning experts. Council approved the 16-storey Mezzo tower off Whyte Avenue against their planners’ advice in April.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Council approves Emerald tower on Jasper Avenue
A divided city council approved the proposed 45-storey Emerald Tower on Jasper Avenue after a protracted debate late Monday night.

The tower, which the community and the city administration both opposed, was approved in a 9-4 vote, with Mayor Don Iveson and councillors Andrew Knack, Ben Henderson and Scott McKeen voting against.

When finished, the Emerald will be the tallest residential tower in the city.

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

I imagine that they still have design negotiations with the City, completion of construction documents and permit approvals to go through. My guess is 6 months before they begin site work.

i for one am glad it was approved and was given the green light to go! some think it's butt ugly and/or too tall but i absolutely love it and the height will be very noticeable even from outside the city.

Back