^The west and south facades are now municipally protected. Even if it’s rezoned.

In a worst case scenario someone like Westrich will propose to demolish everything for 10 years of parking and rebuilt the facade. Worst case.
I hope its not Westrich simply for the fact they bought the property directly south across the street and are looking to tear it down and put temporary parking for three years (which can easily be applied for an extension).

Downtown, and especially this street, needs more activation and residential, not more short term or long term temporary parking.

I hope its not Westrich simply for the fact they bought the property directly south across the street and are looking to tear it down and put temporary parking for three years (which can easily be applied for an extension).

Downtown, and especially this street, needs more activation and residential, not more short term or long term temporary parking.
With the low rental vacancy rates, I hope a developer looked at the location and opportunity and thought 'this is a great site for a quality rental tower'.

I'd love to see an ALT there with rental above.
There is an empty lot just south of City Centre, good location and now sitting sitting vacant for quite a long time desperately needing a hotel.

So do we really need to tear down another old building to build this?

I would like to see mixed-use towers with hotels at both this site and the Tower 101 site. The ALT hotel can take one site. The other site can be a hotel chain that is vacant in the downtown core (e.g. Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Radisson, etc).

Without getting too off topic, what is the city doing to entice downtown hotel development? I am well aware of the hotel landscape and the numbers draw of downtown Edmonton hotels but 1. it was commented publicly somewhere (maybe someone knows where it is) that after the hydrogen conference the head of the conference stated Edmonton needs a lot more downtown hotel space if we are to keep hosting that conference and other conference, and 2. The JW is packed every weekend and rates are strong throughout the week.

The Matthews Southwest Hospitality is building a hotel in the Calgary Stampede grounds in part due to a hotel RFP the city put forth to hotel developers. I am curious what if anything at all Explore Edmonton or the city is doing to entice hotel development.

^The west and south facades are now municipally protected. Even if it’s rezoned.

In a worst case scenario someone like Westrich will propose to demolish everything for 10 years of parking and rebuilt the facade. Worst case.

I hope this artwork is retained

1675885415018.png

I would like to see mixed-use towers with hotels at both this site and the Tower 101 site. The ALT hotel can take one site. The other site can be a hotel chain that is vacant in the downtown core (e.g. Hilton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Radisson, etc).
While I am generally an optimist, I don't see two new hotels downtown in the foreseeable future, so I would prefer the already more derelict site be developed. Otherwise it might turn into another Arlington eye sore - right in the heart of our city. Yep, along with everything else that will be good for our image.

Why do we keep on shooting ourselves in the foot instead of fixing the obvious problems?

The most obvious candidate would be the Katz group. Combine the parking with the old Greyhound lot build a tower and renovate the old warehouse into a market and lofts Dreaming I know.

Back