Unless the UCP would actually provide subsidies and $$$ to Katz for Ice District Phase 2 (which is incredibly unlikely) then I also don't see Phase 2 proceeding for a good while, even with healthy population growth and a stable economy.

My bet is they will shift focus to building a residential tower on where the CWB HQ was supposed to be, while trying to continue to fill out empty CRU's in Stantec, then see where things stand in a few years.

Last edited:
Given construction prices and current interest rates, I really wonder how many larger scale projects this market will see given the potential rental rates and ROI.

Given construction prices and current interest rates, I really wonder how many larger scale projects this market will see given the potential rental rates and ROI.
Hey, but at least we are one of the most affordable places to live, right????

I suspect the focus will be on completing filling the existing space first and then building another tower on the west side.

Land is also a part of development cost, so to the extent it is more affordable here or already owned that is an advantage.

The Katz Group wants to keep using two longstanding vacant plots of land north of Rogers Place as surface gravel parking lots for up to five more years, requesting an extension from the city for the second time.

The Katz Group wants to keep using two longstanding vacant plots of land north of Rogers Place as surface gravel parking lots for up to five more years, requesting an extension from the city for the second time.

The petty side of me wants the City to deny the application and fine them for continuing to operate without a permit, just out of spite for the Boyle Street lawsuit fiasco.

The petty side of me wants the City to deny the application and fine them for continuing to operate without a permit, just out of spite for the Boyle Street lawsuit fiasco.
Its not a great area, so I am ok with the city approving the application, but I would like a shorter term than 5 years and a hefty fee tied to approval.

$5 million comes to mind for some reason, but maybe that is a bit too much.

Back