What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Deffs not vibing with the parking lot in front of this place (not enough greenery, odd/awkward sidewalk configuration, all to cram in more stalls) BUT they have commissioned a lovely mural for the west wall. not sure it's done yet.
IMG_8723.JPG

Yknow... I still don’t like it but I feel like this is a rare case where I put the actual product above the renders.
B7657CD1-1415-40AC-ABF0-B4D14079FA91.jpeg

28D35200-87E0-4D02-85FF-0B0D01215A42.jpeg

Really nice photo tour of the area by the way @Platinum107 , 👍👍.
I really like that mural, actually helps this very busy looking project I think. I gave this one bottom of the barrel ratings off the getgo but may have to take another close up look of it soon, its so bizarre. I do hope it's super successful and then a "phase 2" built on the street side of the parking lot.

This is going to be a success, not because of the architecture but because of what most of you really hate about it, THE PARKING LOT. Because, sadly, it is what most Edmontonians demand.
I think it's not so much that "this is what Edmontonians demand", but rather this is what a development in this neighbourhood requires. There simply are not enough people living within walking distance of this thing to rely on foot traffic alone. And that's the reality in most areas of most cities this size.

I think this is turning out pretty good and will definitely be a talking point in the city. Turns out that maybe you can polish a t*rd.
I also noticed a nice sculpture in the north east corner when I was driving past - looked good from a distance.
The mural on the end isn't Van Goch but come on it's not that bad! I think people commenting think some H. Bosch would be more appropriate haha.

Does this even really achieve that, though? Again, the biggest issue isn't even the architecture, but that it completely misses what makes cities like Amsterdam (or Manchester?) attractive.
I don't think a bit of whimsy hurts. Yeah, it's never going to recreate the cultural essence of Amsterdam, be it the cycling culture or the windowfront prostitute culture; probably more like the UK Manchester. I have pondered why it's called Manchester Square. I have spent some time in Manchester and it has a lot of canal. If you look up the city hall building in Manchester, it has a European style but a bit more Belgian methinks. The name may be the weirdest thing about it.

My wife and I were here last night - it doesn't look too bad...in the dark.

Jokes aside, I think it looks a decent bit better in person. The colours and materials are pretty vibrant. Still not the biggest fan, but they've clearly put effort into it (despite slapping the parking lot in front).

Back