What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
1599061160496.png

I can't make sense of it!

Let me help. It's the guy who ate "4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie" who in turn was crunched by the American Eagle, causing the birds to be evacuated from the man's arse. While the blackbirds did no longer "sing", the man is now humming the star-spangled banner which is hurting the ears of the Canadian crouched in the lower left corner.

let me try and help as well... once travel is allowed again, you need to take a trip to madrid. and you need to spend some time in the prado museum to find the small corner of the large triptych this image is a very small part of (if you didn't know that already :) ). you can then ponder the relationship between heaven and hell and sins on earth and then you can find this room across the street and further reflect over a gin and tonic. i'm partial to single malt scotch for most occasions followed by a champagne or a good prosseco or cava followed by a gin and tonic and this without question was a gin and tonic room even without the butterflies which were in honor of a salvador dali exhibit.
1599091492773.png

I have no idea where this thread went lol
There was a comment about the East Facade:
IMG_9029.JPG

Tonight was my first time actually walking up to the building. I gotta say, dismal interaction with 107 Ave aside, this place is pretty nice. the front walk is wide, the detailing is decent, the landscaping is nice, and the scale of it all works surprisingly well. Of course, i got some creeper shots of the CRUs. The loft seems to be a consistent element, even in Arcadia's location.
IMG_9016.JPGIMG_9038.JPGIMG_9033.JPG
The last image shows the CRU side of the interior hallway thing(?) this shows up on the original plan but is configured a bit differently. it's the black glass box at the corner of the building, with the beam sticking through it. the interior is a street, with stone walls and CRU entrances, and windows. there's even skylights!
IMG_9018.JPGIMG_9032.JPG
anyways, that's all the photos i got, aside from boring construction ones showing the insane amount of drywall being used on the mezzanines to meet code (lol). I have to say, walking through it tonight, it's an experience comparable to the Brewery District, and will fill in nicely. maybe some trees will pop up between it and 107 someday, and it'll be a tranquil spot!
IMG_9035.JPG

This thing is really quite fascinating, really. no This Manchester Scare, this strip mall,
Like a virus
I want to move there, 2nd-floor loft with an opening plywood working window deal. I'll be getting laid nonstop! This is the new Amsterdam for Christ's sake. Graveyards aside, never mind the highway out front, its prime!
OK, all bad attempts at humour aside - I really think this wreck of development will produce even more development of better quality down the road. Time will tell.

let me try and help as well... once travel is allowed again, you need to take a trip to madrid. and you need to spend some time in the prado museum to find the small corner of the large triptych this image is a very small part of (if you didn't know that already :) ). you can then ponder the relationship between heaven and hell and sins on earth and then you can find this room across the street and further reflect over a gin and tonic. i'm partial to single malt scotch for most occasions followed by a champagne or a good prosseco or cava followed by a gin and tonic and this without question was a gin and tonic room even without the butterflies which were in honor of a salvador dali exhibit.
View attachment 267415
Holy! That is one fantastic dome.

I just thought that most commentators on this thread would consider a Bosch hell on the west end of the building more appropriate than flowers. And Bosch was from Netherlands (if it was called that back then)....Amsterdam Square. I thought my post made perfect sense haha.

this thing is kitschy. but, to also sound kitschy, people make places. and if people like this place, even the odd facades and bizarrely-mismatched fountains. it'll end up being a good place on the whole.
I recently saw a tiktok (because wading into that gong show always dredges up some fun stuff) and found a vid from one of those 'Explore Edmonton' type people (they go around to cafes and river valley lookouts and find instagram-worthy places for young, ever-so-hip people to visit) and they were 'featuring' this project. they wandered around the parking lot (the arcadia sign was up so it must have been recently) and got a few detail shots of the lamps, balconies, etc, as well as the obligatory selfies in front of the side murals. it was interesting to hear they're excited commentary about the place, about the decor, the style, the mural, and the brewery. they mentioned new businesses were gonna move in to (the people behind the vid were deffs not realtors so obviously no further detail was given there lol) On the whole it was a very positive video; posing the development as some kind of mini-Whyte Ave or something.
As much as the cynic in my sees the front parking as annoying, and the expensive detailing on the building pricing out local businesses from tenancies due to high rents, and the styling as cheesy (i've been to disney world waaayyy to many times to not greet a fake European street with an eye roll) Seeing that 45-second tiktok reminded me that for a lot of people, this is good. This is good enough. this is a pleasant enough place to walk, bike, or drive to, the facades novel enough to warrant coming to this Remedy versus the one 5 blocks away on 124, the murals pretty enough for a photo session, etc. there are a lot of people who see something like this as genuinely exciting, and as much as I want to push for even better, we gotta take the win that this may offer.

I really don't mind this, I really do like this development. Uniqueness in design always helps people remember places. Yes these styles of architecture are not common in Edmonton and due to this reason it will stand out, which I think is a good thing. I guarentee this is probably one of the only strip malls in Edmonton that is really being noticed and remembered. Every other mall probably gets the reaction of "oh look a new strip mall, nice" and then its not thought of much after that. Think of it this way, there are 15 pages of discussion about this strip mall here, where any other strip mall would barely get a page worth of discussion.

Back