What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I believe that they had a co-tenancy clause in their lease with Holt.

Ok Manulife, what you got?

I believe that they had a co-tenancy clause in their lease with Holt.

Ok Manulife, what you got?
Ouch, but this is exactly what happens when a landlord run from far away takes their existing long term tenants for granted.

A 40 year old building can not rest on its laurels.

A bit of a perfect storm, but yes, what a fall from grace, but (literally) 'follow the money'.

What an opportunity for Manulife (and Commerce for that matter) to reinvent themselves... but please, not a food hall.

Somehow, someway Manulife should lure Simons there with a new Downtown flagship + a new hip restaurant to pair with it.

If Manulife was too small for Holt Renfrew then what makes you think they can accommodate Simons?

The space is there as they can reconfigure and create a space to effectively service a tenant like that.

'Too small' was the red herring; Holt wanted out of Edmonton as it was not a market they wanted to be associated with any longer.

It was not part of their strategic plan.

Reactions: God
I'm no retail expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think Simons would rather take over the old Hudson Bay space in ECC when the rumored renovations are completed.

I'd rather be the majority of a Manulife podium over that space/mall... but yes, another option for sure.

Reactions: God
'but the donuts are good'

You sir have not lived.
I read awhile ago that Simons has been disappointed with their sales at their downtown Calgary location. If that's true I can't picture them wanting to open a store in downtown Edmonton.
Simons would be the only store of its size and offering in Downtown Edmonton. If I am not mistaken there is a Bay, Nordstrom (full department stores) and a flailing Simons in Downtown Calgary. I would think Simons would do well in Downtown Edmonton.

If Simons set up shop in the old Bay they might be nicely situated in a good spot between the Helm and Henry Singer. Not the same market necessarily although surely some crossover. Could turn into a nice little stretch of retail along 103rd.

A bit of a perfect storm, but yes, what a fall from grace, but (literally) 'follow the money'.

What an opportunity for Manulife (and Commerce for that matter) to reinvent themselves... but please, not a food hall.

Somehow, someway Manulife should lure Simons there with a new Downtown flagship + a new hip restaurant to pair with it.
What is Simons going to do that HS couldn't there? for those that have been fortunate enough to have travelled to cities where high end products are sold, how many of locations do you see with so many transients lounging around like they do at Manulife/Commerce? At one point in my life, I remembered Manulife/Commerce were purposely avoided by transients for they feared admonishments, so they would shy away from such places. Times have changed...

Back