What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Manulife has indeed been fortunate and done well over the course of it's existence. At this point without major intervention, much like ECC, it isn't going to turn around anytime soon.

Based on what I heard last week look to seeing something in the next bit. Looks like things are about to get going again.

When I went through yesterday, I noticed they were covering over the rejuvenation - something exciting coming soon signage where Holts was.

Often activity is a good sign, but I am guessing in this case it's become evident the rejuvenation is not coming along that fast.

🤔

A little over a month since that teaser, but I am thinking the something is either related to the coffee bar space on the other side, an announcement related to the exterior renovation or if we are lucky both.

I suspect the covering over the rejuvenation signage on the old Holts space is just improving aesthetics. The new more plain white and grey striped coverage looks better imo.

Jeff Simkin

CBRE is proud to partner with Manulife Investment Management to bring Edmonton’s premier office & retail landmark, Manulife Place, to the market.

With a variety of office leasing options and flexible workspaces to support a wide range of tenants, Manulife Place offers modern office space that helps companies achieve their goals and support their employees’ wellness and lifestyles.

Celebrated for its iconic history and central location, Manulife Place is at the forefront of Edmonton’s urban renewal and we’re excited to activate and infuse Manulife Place with the same energy and vibrancy that has set it apart from any other tower in Edmonton.

Rediscover #ManulifePlace today.

Get in touch to learn more about this landmark opportunity!
Activate to view larger image,
text, calendar

I honestly think turning the majority of Manulife Place into a large format retailer that people would actually use would be great. Maybe a more budget-conscious grocer like Freshco or No Frills to give people in the area who don't live in fancy new Warehouse District condos somewhere to buy more than what Shoppers provides. But with the (planned?) exit of Best Buy forthcoming, that could also be an interesting addition. Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, H&W Produce, or London Drugs would be great additions to the core of the core of Edmonton. We often talk about Simons and there or the BMO site would be great for that too, but other less trendy "destination" retailers would be great too.

Unique approach, but for me this gem needs to remain an epicentre for business and begin to attract new, expanding, scaling companies to the core.

I think whoever takes over this building will need to make some changes to update things. Perhaps this property has got lost in the shuffle with changes happening at Manulife.

Also another issue with some Toronto focused companies is they don't pay enough attention to their properties here. I realize they may not be their bigger assets, but they still do need some attention from time to time. Otherwise neglect can lead to gradual decline which is something I think is happening here, but it is a good building/location overall so I feel it can be reversed with some thoughtful attention and changes.

I honestly think turning the majority of Manulife Place into a large format retailer that people would actually use would be great. Maybe a more budget-conscious grocer like Freshco or No Frills to give people in the area who don't live in fancy new Warehouse District condos somewhere to buy more than what Shoppers provides. But with the (planned?) exit of Best Buy forthcoming, that could also be an interesting addition. Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, H&W Produce, or London Drugs would be great additions to the core of the core of Edmonton. We often talk about Simons and there or the BMO site would be great for that too, but other less trendy "destination" retailers would be great too.
You're not wrong. You would see a blend of large-format and boutique retailers at key downtown retail streets in our biggest cities - Best Buy and London Drugs right next to smaller retailers at Granville and Robson/Georgia comes to mind in Vancouver. This also exists to an extent in Calgary.

In terms of Ian's comments, the building can continue to attract businesses with a grocery store or Winners below without issue.

The erosion of Edmonton's corporate presence continues.

Fall from grace might be most fitting if you put a Winners or home hardware store in what was our premier shopping and office tower.

I'm all for the brands/offerings listed, but good god not there.

Manulife will rise again, but with a different direction from what is thought of here.

If boutiques are indicative of corporate heft - the world is in a massive decline. Even retail on Chicago's Golden Mile is transforming away from this - and is also home to more than its share of Fortune 500 icons.

Downtowns moving away from this kind of high end shopping is a major global trend - while grocery anchored daily shopping drives most successful efforts. The mix you see at the Brewery District next door is indicative of this.

There's nothing wrong with this suggestion in a world that recognizes Amazon and West Edmonton Mall's existence.

The erosion of Edmonton's corporate presence continues.

Fall from grace might be most fitting if you put a Winners or home hardware store in what was our premier shopping and office tower.

I'm all for the brands/offerings listed, but good god not there.

Manulife will rise again, but with a different direction from what is thought of here.
Edmonton hasn't had real corporate heft for most of our lives. In Canada, that really only exists in Calgary, Toronto, and Montreal, with a few occasional nods to Vancouver (but not really). I'd rather the space be used by something that Edmontonians, and particularly downtown/central residents, would frequent, rather than chasing this idea of something we're not. It's completely ok to not be a high-end, lux city, and it's very clear that what market there is for that in Edmonton wants to be in WEM or Southgate, which really isn't the end of the world like some make it out to be. Lots of cities are like this. Even Canada's "Mink Mile" in Toronto's Yorkville, centred on Bloor has budget-conscious retailers like Winners and (well, not for long) Nordstrom Rack alongside the Gucci and Holt Renfrew.

I agree, a Winners here would not be a good fit, but even worse it would also be robbing Peter to pay Paul - no net addition or benefit downtown.

I have thought the Holt Renfrew space might make a good Simons or something similar, not too upscale, but a nice place for everyone.

I agree the era of lots of high end boutiques downtown is probably coming to an end even in bigger more corporate cities for various reasons.

However Manulife isn't a mall, it is primarily an fairly premiere office tower with some retail space. So I don't see its focus being on the discount end.

I thought Best Buy wasn't planning on leaving the 109st location.

Back