What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
#saveMetro78

That’s all I am asking.

I think this issue about betraying the residents if Council amend the ARP needs a broader discussion.

The MDP takes precedence. That is the law, period.

As a taxpayer, I will feel betrayed for not having “a” TOD project along the south leg of the Capital LRT Line.

Again, good conversation. But I am not ready to give up just yet.

One more round…
Quick update on Metro 78:

We are ready for December 6 public hearing.

We’ve made significant changes to the site plan to preserve the design of the buildings. The details are in the administration report - items 3.25-3.28.

I will speak about the ARP covenant issue upfront.

Quick update on Metro 78:

We are ready for December 6 public hearing.

We’ve made significant changes to the site plan to preserve the design of the buildings. The details are in the administration report - items 3.25-3.28.

I will speak about the ARP covenant issue upfront.
Our community league got an email from someone using the slippery slope fallacy. “You’re next if this sets precedent”.

I responded haha. 1) this is a great project and I hope we are next! 2) the city plan aligns with this and the LRT is Nextdoor. 3) young people deserve housing options close to the core and university. Making space in our mature communities is the right thing to do and makes a more financially and environmentally sustainable city.

We’ll see how they respond not getting the usual support of nimbys in other leagues.

Just checking in to thank you all for the conversation and input.

I will try to provide updates on the next steps of this project every once in a while.

We were the Urban Planning and Urban Design consultants on two other projects for Pinto Properties, both in Garneau.

One is a three storey with rooftop amenities that is currently under construction on 110 Street and 88 Avenue (DC2.1179).

The other is Altarius on 108 Street and 86 Avenue (DC2.1178), which we have already talked about on another forum. The development permit for Altarius was submitted in August and is being reviewed.

Metro 78 is next.

For us at Green Space Alliance, more projects are coming up in mature neighbourhoods in 2023, just to keep cracking those silos for a change.

Cheers!

Why would anyone want to try to do anything of scale within the infill context after this boondoggle. Good for Pinto for fighting the good fight here but what a mess as well as a waste of time and resources to get something approved that should have been approved from day one. City council needs to figure out how they are going to actually achieve their city plan and intensification goals when good projects like this have so many obstacles to getting approved.

Why would anyone want to try to do anything of scale within the infill context after this boondoggle. Good for Pinto for fighting the good fight here but what a mess as well as a waste of time and resources to get something approved that should have been approved from day one. City council needs to figure out how they are going to actually achieve their city plan and intensification goals when good projects like this have so many obstacles to getting approved.
On the other hand, this could also have a demoralizing effect on local NIMBYs. They organized a full court press for the initial public hearing but the building is still going ahead with only minor adjustments and no reduction in density.

Plus, having an apartment here helps set a precedent.

On the other hand, this could also have a demoralizing effect on local NIMBYs. They organized a full court press for the initial public hearing but the building is still going ahead with only minor adjustments and no reduction in density.

I think over time as communities see how council is faithfully following City Plan and pretty consistently approving these projects including in Westmount, Glenora, McKernan and so on, they will realize that they are likely not going to be successful - especially with these missing middle scale projects.

Definitely a positive spin, don't think Pinto would have preferred to be the guinea pig on this though.

Another thing to keep in mind, development requires debt. Debt whether it is done by traditional banks or more expensive private banks, both hate regulatory uncertainty. Financing these types of projects will continue to be very difficult (at least at the initial stages) unless the city makes changes to provide certainty to developers.

Can confirm that anecdotally, many “nimbys” are realizing they can’t beat the city plan. Some still try, but the tone is defeated.

Our community league gets weekly emails from people still trying to create a stir. Thankfully, the tides are turning and momentum is behind new projects. If they keep being executed well, it will build trust and also critical mass in these new areas. The 200 new residents of a project like this are unlikely to add to the nimbyism and will likely support more infill projects in this area.

^^which is becoming more and more costly and putting more projects at risk over time. I believe there continues to be a real disconnect with the complexity and significant risks associated with even 'straightforward' proposals that are not understood well enough nor provided weight by both admin and the general public.

^^which is becoming more and more costly and putting more projects at risk over time. I believe there continues to be a real disconnect with the complexity and significant risks associated with even 'straightforward' proposals that are not understood well enough nor provided weight by both admin and the general public.
imagine this project for example it has been vacant land for 4-5 years since original acquisition by Pinto. interest rates have more or less doubled in that time, not to mention all the other associated consulting fees associated with the project. people often wonder why the major greenfield developers don't do infill, Metro78 would be a pretty simple example.

Back