I am 110% for the lrt development and like the idea of building when it's easy. Would be nice though to have line of sight on how it's going to be connected for users when it opens and what kind of timelines we can expect for development around it. Beyond the current Blatchford west development Blatchford Market and Blatchford East seem very concept level. While I like building it ahead it would be nice to see how that investment happening now will be supported with ridership although this isn't a tail end of a line this is going through this area to eventually get somewhere else in the northwest.

Has the city done anything to improve connectivity between Westwood and Blatchford ahead of the LRT opening?
I honestly don’t think so, which is ironic because it’s their own facilities that are blocking safe, convenient access between Blatchford and Westwood.

I've toured both new stations and I couldn't quite grasp how isolated they feel until being there. My hunch is they'll be ready but won't open -- there's also safety and disorder issues to consider. The real elephant in the room, to me, will be how on earth they're going to build that bridge over the rail tracks to the north end. It'll need to be about 1.5x the length of the Tawatina bridge and I don't think CN will be too enthused to help. Can't go underground either...

Has the city done anything to improve connectivity between Westwood and Blatchford ahead of the LRT opening?

There is 118 Ave, which terminates at 109 St. Maybe it will be extended into Blatchford?

1680546425665.png

I've toured both new stations and I couldn't quite grasp how isolated they feel until being there. My hunch is they'll be ready but won't open -- there's also safety and disorder issues to consider. The real elephant in the room, to me, will be how on earth they're going to build that bridge over the rail tracks to the north end. It'll need to be about 1.5x the length of the Tawatina bridge and I don't think CN will be too enthused to help. Can't go underground either...
Sadly that beast of a bridge is probably going to hold the extension back for quite a while. What would a suspension bridge like that even cost? $400 million+?

Sadly that beast of a bridge is probably going to hold the extension back for quite a while. What would a suspension bridge like that even cost? $400 million+?
That's why the city should be beating down Justin's doors to ask $$$$. Has the city even asked yet? Or are we too early in the game? I'm confident $$$ will flow when the time is right......

In a better world, the construction of that bridge happens simultaneously with the St Albert Trail - 97 St freeway conversion on the Yellowhead. Instead, I worry it’s going to be three years of construction delays for the YHT project, and then another four years of construction delays for the LRT bridge.

Generally, I do agree with all of this, but how are they going to justify not opening it? Blatchford desperately needs a win that isn't just buildings being built. An LRT connection, while across a wasteland of a field currently, is better than nothing.

There is 118 Ave, which terminates at 109 St. Maybe it will be extended into Blatchford?
Sure, but the Blatchford Gate station is about as north as 121 Ave. and there's no crossings for 107 St., that I can see on Google Maps anyhow, between 118 ave. and 123 Ave. which seems incredibly silly if this hasn't already started to be addressed by the city. There should at the very least be a crossing at 120 Ave.

Last edited:
Blatchford is a tough beast to integrate into surrounding communities with Via tracks on one side, yellowhead, NAIT. Wasn't an issue as an airport but is a bit of a problem now.

Would be nice if this was ready to go right after yellowhead is hopefully realigned which might time nicely with Valley line west and capital line phase 1 south extension being complete.

NAIT better get on board reeeeeeaaaaalllll quick with promotion and supporting or these two stations.

We need to recognize that this extension is part of a bigger plan, picture and significant need in the NW, but man-o-man communications is dropping the ball on this and how the heck is phasing not commencing around them first.

Basic stuff folks.

Back