Westwood does not exist anymore the Kathleen Andrews took its place and Nait knocked it down. But I see your point and it would work.

The VIA rail station needs to be linked to the CN rail line, so based on that this idea doesn't really work. I think a more practical solution would be to have a shuttle bus connecting the VIA rail station with Blatchford Gate instead (once the road network within Blatchford is more complete). This shuttle only has to run a few times a week for arrival and departures, and could maybe be a "dial a bus" shuttle that's based out of the Westwood ETS garage nearby
Westwood no longer exists. It was replaced by Andrews.
Regardless, The volume of passengers arriving and departing certainly doesn't justify attempting any sort of ETS service except for maybe On Demand. Of course, the trains don't always run on time. A train a friend caught 1 month ago was due to arrive around 18:50, it was over 3 hours late and arrived after 22:00. On Demand ends at 22:00 on weekdays, earlier in weekends.
Edit: went and checked and both VIA 1 and 2 come through today. #1 WB is about 1.5 hours late, and #2 is close to 6 hours late. Both could arrive after 22:00, and #2 probably won't arrive until after most transit routes have finished for the day.

Last edited:
The VIA rail station needs to be linked to the CN rail line, so based on that this idea doesn't really work. I think a more practical solution would be to have a shuttle bus connecting the VIA rail station with Blatchford Gate instead (once the road network within Blatchford is more complete). This shuttle only has to run a few times a week for arrival and departures, and could maybe be a "dial a bus" shuttle that's based out of the Westwood ETS garage nearby
ETS garage hasn't been at westwood for a few years (it's that massive empty lot that NAIT bought), but maybe a shuttle would suffice. Of course there is nothing stopping VIA/CNR from providing a shuttle, or even building a new connection as I don't recall seeing the existing wye at 121st in the new yellowhead drawings (new 117th access and no 121st). Blatchford would make a pretty decent location for a transportation hub

ETS garage hasn't been at westwood for a few years (it's that massive empty lot that NAIT bought), but maybe a shuttle would suffice. Of course there is nothing stopping VIA/CNR from providing a shuttle, or even building a new connection as I don't recall seeing the existing wye at 121st in the new yellowhead drawings (new 117th access and no 121st). Blatchford would make a pretty decent location for a transportation hub

I think a new direct CN/VIA connection into Blanchford is tough for a few reasons... but yes a shuttle connection (either from ETS or VIA) at the least should be provided. Access could be from the new proposed access road (currently Bush Pilot Rd) into Blatchford from 121st (based on the new Yellowhead Trail configuration below)

asdfafafa.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-28 200146.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-28 200146.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I don't understand why the Yellowed is going under the tracks (as it currently does), before going over the new interchange for 121 St. Doesn't raising a freeway just lead to more noise for everyone else in Blatchford? Why not have it run lower, similar to the Whitemud west of Gateway Blvd?

I think a new direct CN/VIA connection into Blanchford is tough for a few reasons... but yes a shuttle connection (either from ETS or VIA) at the least should be provided. Access could be from the new proposed access road (currently Bush Pilot Rd) into Blatchford from 121st (based on the new Yellowhead Trail configuration below)

View attachment 567538
Ah, this one is different from the other proposals I've seen. The 117th cross over that somehow linked to 126th avenue wb to allow for access to 127th nb/sb

For the possible train station at Blatchford Gates you can add a new spur line underneath the new Yellowhead interchange. This would allow the original VIA line to revert to city and become a MUP from Kingsway all the way to other side of Yellowhead using the existing infrastructure. And Blatchford could also be connected by road to Prince Charles around 122nd Avenue which would make Blatchford more connected. As well the VIA land beside the station in the NW could be converted to residential. The province seems serious about regional rail and VIA looks to be getting new long distance equipment in the next few years there is potential for the train station to be much busier. Think of regional routes to Stony Plain, Morinville, Redwater, Fort Saskatchewan and maybe even Sherwood Park connected to Blatchford Gates LRT.

As much as a fan I am of trains the only train station that should be built and be the central focus is a station, wherever it may be, that would be for a high speed train to Calgary, then tracks for any commuter trains servicing the Edmonton region and then Via could have a track there as well. Also too a track for city LRT and a section for region intercity buses and other regionally run busses.

3 crews doing Geotech testing along the path of Metro Line south of the Henday.

Should see this section start this fall.
Capital Line I believe you mean

The north Blatchford station needs to have opened yesterday.
Why, there is no need/demand for that station at present.

It may be useful for city staff working at Westwood, but that would be for 2 trips in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

The station should be powered down, and the train overhead de-powered to save wasted energy and be green

Back