What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Good afternoon Your Worship and distinguished Councillors,

In the spirit of transparency, let me preface this letter with a declaration that I am a 'Class A' shareholder of this venture.

However, I did not make a very modest investment in this grassroots project because of an expected financial return, but rather because I believe that Edmonton can look past traditional transportation vernacular, methods of project delivery, work to develop more nimble partnerships and restore a belief of what this city can become.

Rather than providing additional rational as to why the land agreements, framework or fundamentals are well thought out, vetted and providing secure foundations for all involved, I would rather share more about the vision that I bought into and the potential community benefits from its realization.

Edmonton's best asset is its river valley. It is most treasured because of its ability to deliver a variety of experiences, be them natural, historical, sporting or leisure; this project can compliment the very essence of these diverse relationships with this special place and work to share it with more Edmontonians, on a more regular basis, with a very small environmental footprint.

Taking a risk is not the most Edmonton thing you can do; Council must consider exposure to its shareholders - the taxpayers and citizens of Edmonton. However, I ask you to consider some of the 'risky' decisions made since it became a city in 1904. Inherently, there was risk in all of the great projects that we now revel at and are fortunate to have had built over the years. Where would Edmonton be today without the Canadian Pacific Railway's High Level Bridge or Wop May & Max Ward's pioneering spirit to open up the north or provide Edmonton with international gateways. I think about the city builders, the Allard's and their contributions to media, technology, entertainment and the Arts or companies like Maclab who understood that their success from providing Edmontonians with homes was intrinsically paired with their philanthropy and desire to give back; to strengthen community. The Ghermezian's, the Day's, the Katz's and more recently the Beljan's of the world remind us that private ventures can leave lasting legacies for decades to come, enriching our natural and built environments in a respectful way.

This project has the potential to connect communities, provide accessible and sustainable transportation options to more citizens and deliver a unique experience for those that call Edmonton home and to those who visit.

As such, I ask that you consider supporting the vision that Gary and Amber Poliquin had from their winning submission to the Edmonton Project competition by way of this proposal and required land agreements, for I believe that 'Community is the most Edmonton thing you can do'.

Thank you for your time and consideration of the above.

Sincerely,

IanO

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 5.48.31 PM.png

Good afternoon Your Worship and distinguished Councillors,

In the spirit of transparency, let me preface this letter with a declaration that I am a 'Class A' shareholder of this venture.

However, I did not make a very modest investment in this grassroots project because of an expected financial return, but rather because I believe that Edmonton can look past traditional transportation vernacular, methods of project delivery, work to develop more nimble partnerships and restore a belief of what this city can become.

Rather than providing additional rational as to why the land agreements, framework or fundamentals are well thought out, vetted and providing secure foundations for all involved, I would rather share more about the vision that I bought into and the potential community benefits from its realization.

Edmonton's best asset is its river valley. It is most treasured because of its ability to deliver a variety of experiences, be them natural, historical, sporting or leisure; this project can compliment the very essence of these diverse relationships with this special place and work to share it with more Edmontonians, on a more regular basis, with a very small environmental footprint.

Taking a risk is not the most Edmonton thing you can do; Council must consider exposure to its shareholders - the taxpayers and citizens of Edmonton. However, I ask you to consider some of the 'risky' decisions made since it became a city in 1904. Inherently, there was risk in all of the great projects that we now revel at and are fortunate to have had built over the years. Where would Edmonton be today without the Canadian Pacific Railway's High Level Bridge or Wop May & Max Ward's pioneering spirit to open up the north or provide Edmonton with international gateways. I think about the city builders, the Allard's and their contributions to media, technology, entertainment and the Arts or companies like Maclab who understood that their success from providing Edmontonians with homes was intrinsically paired with their philanthropy and desire to give back; to strengthen community. The Ghermezian's, the Day's, the Katz's and more recently the Beljan's of the world remind us that private ventures can leave lasting legacies for decades to come, enriching our natural and built environments in a respectful way.

This project has the potential to connect communities, provide accessible and sustainable transportation options to more citizens and deliver a unique experience for those that call Edmonton home and to those who visit.

As such, I ask that you consider supporting the vision that Gary and Amber Poliquin had from their winning submission to the Edmonton Project competition by way of this proposal and required land agreements, for I believe that 'Community is the most Edmonton thing you can do'.

Thank you for your time and consideration of the above.

Sincerely,

IanO

This is great. I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of speakers at this one.

Last edited:
I have received a number of responses back from Councillors to my foray into City-dom -- happy to say most are positive and supportive of moving to the next step. Tomorrow's vote will only be for members of the Executive Committee so not all Councillors will have direct input. The Executive Committee consists of Mayor Sohi and Councillors Knack, Rice, and Rutherford. However, other Councillors plan to attend the meeting to ask questions and offer advice. I expect that passage by the Executive committee will be unanimous. Members of the Public have an opportunity to sign up to speak pro or con and to also ask questions; I encourage all who are able to attend to do so and to make your voices heard -- positive public support goes a very, very long way in positive projection for the PSG project.

Councillor Knack chimes in the gondola.

If this moved beyond the "imagination stage" I would encourage the City to rethink the connective roadway to the new Rossdale bridge, building an underpass connection (under Saskatchewan drive) to more directly serve the downtown-bound traffic generated by Gateway Boulevard. And Kudos to Hughes for investing a dime on an imaginative scheme.

Back