What do you think of the design of Raymond Block?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I like it

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
You assuming Lan Noodle & Flirty Bird are the ones to go?

Every time I walk/drive by the Flirty Bird in the Limelight building on 124th, it is empty. Feel really bad, but I can't see them making it to 6 months of business there.

You assuming Lan Noodle & Flirty Bird are the ones to go?

Every time I walk/drive by the Flirty Bird in the Limelight building on 124th, it is empty. Feel really bad, but I can't see them making it to 6 months of business there.
I think they’re doing a lot of takeout there? Hopefully the spring/summer will pick up for them. I’ve been there 4 times since it opened, big fan honestly!

That would be unfortunate. Poor business strategy or expensive lease rate? Or combination of both?

High lease rates + unrealistic expectations of foot traffic on Whyte + COVID impacts + a lack of local density + more options in more places (burbs) and Edmonton's love of enclosed malls and power centres.

High lease rates + unrealistic expectations of foot traffic on Whyte + COVID impacts + a lack of local density + more options in more places (burbs) and Edmonton's love of enclosed malls and power centres.

So we have a lack of local density + more options in more places (burbs) and Edmonton's love of enclosed malls and power centres = how does that result in high lease rates?

Do lease rates need to be as high as they are? What costs are the property owners bearing that dictate the high lease rates?

It doesn't result in high lease rates, it results in lower footfall and out of sync expectations by landlords and tenants.

Retail entrepreneurs (building owners) are going to have to restructure their returns over a longer time-frame -- at least in the short run -- or they are going to run into even stronger head-winds.

Reactions: TAS
Could it also be the type of tenants? Lots of the tenants have come and gone within these CRUs. The tenant roster resembled that of a strip centre on 50th street. Nobody is coming to whyte to eat at blaze Pizza or 5 guys.
I know this tenant roster was driven by expectations of the landlord but I am hoping some more local/independents find their way into the building. Remedy seems busy.

Could it also be the type of tenants? Lots of the tenants have come and gone within these CRUs. The tenant roster resembled that of a strip centre on 50th street. Nobody is coming to whyte to eat at blaze Pizza or 5 guys.
I know this tenant roster was driven by expectations of the landlord but I am hoping some more local/independents find their way into the building. Remedy seems busy.

securing financing doesn't necessarily work with independents

securing financing doesn't necessarily work with independents
I can tell you that it's a lot tougher....but doable. Having a strong relationship with your lender(s) is key.

At the end of the day the success of a tenant really comes down to the operator. Full stop. As it relates to rates, they are not out of line given the location, context and what other retailers are paying. Retail vacancies everywhere have yet to rebound and are slowly coming around, particularly in downtown/core areas.

Back