What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Its not that noisy, I can hear it for my patio which true is a lot farther away then being in the plaza. But any loud noises are short, and I think the starting of this project now was to show that there is progress on finishing the district rather then having it sit abandoned till the playoffs finish in a few months.

Also I fly in and out for work, driving home from the airport I really noticed how well things were clean and landscaped along gateway and up 105th St. Compared to 109th St up to kingsway where you'd almost need a haybine to cut the grass on the median.

^ I disagree, at this stage construction shouldn't be overly noisy, especially with the hoarding at ground level providing a sound and visual barrier. Construction projects are a part of life, especially downtown, and is a sign of prosperity, growth, and renewal.

I mean, have you seen downtown Toronto lately?
I agree, construction is a way of life for any prosperous city enjoying growth and renewal. My beef is that BG should've been completed by now. How is it going to look when helicopter fly-bys film the arena district for this NHL hub city?

I haven't visited Toronto for nearly 10 years now, but I imagine it's still messy.

^ WOW!! That is beyond belief how a major US network could be that ignorant. That has got to be deliberate. Like they are still #$^&^% off that Edmonton got chosen as the hub over other US cities. They should have shown that same shot in the middle of January to even further accentuate their point. Sheesh!!!! 🤬

I believe they only showed that shot once, right before the oilers vs hawks game, every other time the city looked nice and it mostly showed ICE District. It may have been deliberate but I don't think it was out of spite, just pure laziness to update it until they received some backlash. Either that or the people at NBCSN are that ignorant and truly believe Edmonton with their "new arena" looks like that to the point where they didn't even bother to check.

IMG_5230.JPGIMG_5231.JPG

Pretty cool how could can watch the games outside on the big screen with full audio. This will make the plaza come alive in the future.

I want to call into question the construction quality. July's rainstorm was admittedly pretty intense, but Roger's Place is only six years old, and already flooding issues? Edmonton Tower apparently got some flooding in its lobby and parkade as well. That's two newly built Katz Group properties.

The rain water leader failing is not uncommon. and the water in the parkade is not uncommon either. For the parkade the trench drains sometimes cannot keep up with the water. could also be that there was debris in it that reduced its effectiveness.

As for the RWL. Had a few calls this year because of fail lines. And West Edmonton Mall had a major failure a few years back during a massive storm in the west end. You can only design for what is known. those once in a lifetime storms are to hard to predict for. Had a school in northern Alberta last summer. The rain was so great that the roof drains could not keep up. the scuppers on the side were also flowing. there was fear that the load on the roof may have caused structural issues. they only RWL we lost was on a low roof that had half the flow.

As for shoddy work. hard to say. I know some of the sub contractors involved. they have great reputations.

Back