What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Those tacky picnic tables are quite the distraction. I am surprised the city allows that much space of the sidewalk to be taken up. Anyway that’s what caught my eye immediately and not the great design if the Roxy.
Could it be that they're meant to be temporary and thus they didn't want to splurge on something nicer?

Omg finally the big reveal! This looks amazing and I can't wait to see that sign it up at night 🤤

...okay? What's the big problem with Northern Chicken extending their dining space outside onto the sidewalk? If anything we need more of that imo and I'd like to see 104th get the same treatment as Whyte, with the pedestrian space being extended out and taking over the parking lane during the summer.
They are overwhelming visually and physically. Something on a smaller scale would not be obtrusive. Oh did I mention tacky?

They are overwhelming visually and physically. Something on a smaller scale would not be obtrusive. Oh did I mention tacky?
Wait?! Are you referring to the sea of picnic tables in the picture's foreground? Those are not in the street, but rather in an old parking lot across the street from Roxy that is waiting for development and, currently, is hosting a few food trucks and the tables, with some live music in the afternoons and evenings during weekends.
From the street's sidewalk, or anywhere but from inside the lot or from 107 avenue, across the lot (which won't be empty for long, as per the developer, which is a contributor of this forum)

Wait?! Are you referring to the sea of picnic tables in the picture's foreground? Those are not in the street, but rather in an old parking lot across the street from Roxy that is waiting for development and, currently, is hosting a few food trucks and the tables, with some live music in the afternoons and evenings during weekends.
From the street's sidewalk, or anywhere but from inside the lot or from 107 avenue, across the lot (which won't be empty for long, as per the developer, which is a contributor of this forum)
Duh ... this picture ... 5736d536-6acd-44a8-845f-f494ad6ae62d-jpeg.340253

Then you're making to much fuss for something that is REALLY not a big deal. Even more: it's good for the area as a whole, as patios tend to be a very good way to activate streets, bring in people, etc... And it might not be pretty, but it's a far cry from tacky, and it doesn't take your eyes away from the theatre, unless you're actively looking for something to complain about.

Quick snap from across the street. Looks great!

IMG_20210811_205111944.jpg

Wow the sign's up and glowing already, looks great!

I'm not really familiar with the Roxy, in terms of theatre productions and what hours they show them but my hope is that the adjacent businesses start to stay open later than 6 pm as the Roxy (hopefully) starts to attract more patrons at later hours (if they do evening showings). I don't know the numbers for how good for business that might be or if it's really feasible for the types of businesses - cafes, hobby shops, etc. - but it's always a disappointment when I head out for evening strolls around 8 PM and pretty much everything is closed and the street is deserted.

That might be a bit unfair to 124 St in particular though, since I don't know of too many main shopping streets in Edmonton with later business hours. Maybe there's not necessarily an appetite for that just yet, or maybe I'm just not looking very hard! I just feel like 124 in particular has a lot of great potential that's slowly being recognized.

Still amazes me how long it took to rebuild it…..why did they use so much concrete form work? When I’m sure some steel beams and DensGlass would have sufficed? That thing is built for the next nuclear Holocaust!

Back