The Edmontonian was, apparently, never realistic at all (technical issues and whatnot, on top of financial).

The Aldritt tower was more plausible, pre COVID, but I guess we should consider it dead and buried, now.
I think considering how much time has passed, Aldritt's lack of experience in the development of tower's and the current economic situation of downtown Edmonton I would wager its a pretty safe bet nowadays.

I think considering how much time has passed, Aldritt's lack of experience in the development of tower's and the current economic situation of downtown Edmonton I would wager its a pretty safe bet nowadays.
it was more than eight years from when we purchased the station lands site to when we broke ground for epcor tower. during that time there was a lot written about our lack of experience developing towers and office product…

The "we" that I was referencing was everyone who is interested on the Skyrise Site. I am not preaching; I am working to keep an open mind... let's explore the points that you have made. I potentially disagree with the points you made about service access, about floor plate size, and about financial potential, whether or not BCM had the capability to undertake such a grand scheme -- when I spoke with their project reps when the concept was first introduced they seemed quite bullish on the project (granted their rationale for creating both public and broad media interest may have had many facets, benefitting the company). I want to speak with the architect and the ersatz developer once again as a starting point for further discussion.

The Edmontonian was, apparently, never realistic at all (technical issues and whatnot, on top of financial).

The Aldritt tower was more plausible, pre COVID, but I guess we should consider it dead and buried, now.
The Aldritt still has life but not necessarily the current height proposed; upwards of 150m mix-use would still look considerably significant.

I spoke with BCM today and asked them why The Edmontonian was still on their website and the reply was the project is on hold but not cancelled.

I thought BCM filed for bankruptcy or went out of business or something.
I checked out BCM's website. It's woefully outdated and their social media links are laughable.

The "we" that I was referencing was everyone who is interested on the Skyrise Site. I am not preaching; I am working to keep an open mind... let's explore the points that you have made. I potentially disagree with the points you made about service access, about floor plate size, and about financial potential, whether or not BCM had the capability to undertake such a grand scheme -- when I spoke with their project reps when the concept was first introduced they seemed quite bullish on the project (granted their rationale for creating both public and broad media interest may have had many facets, benefitting the company). I want to speak with the architect and the ersatz developer once again as a starting point for further discussion.
It is not out of the impossibilities with the sight if that was your argument, but with who proposed it, it did what it was supposed to. It died of a sudden heart attack as expected. The only way this sight can achieve the merits lacking in this instance is that a developer with WILLING, DEEP POCKETS, AND AMBITION.

@Gronk! Apparently not -- their phones are still connected and they are still answering them. Their website is essentially the same as 6 years ago so I take your point re updates; I can't fault them for social media lagging -- over the years social media does little for architecture or development except attract "the fringe", evidenced by the presence of some on this very site.

They still build homes don't they, so naturally someone will answer. The point is this, we had an incredible boom for them to use as a platform, AND IT DIDN'T MATERIALIZED FOR THEM, so what makes you think they can still achieve this behemoth of a proposal? Once again, theory wise, it is not impossible.

It is not me thinking that they can develop the project it is them thinking that they can develop the project and that is all the difference. From my perspective maybe they can; maybe they can't -- I am just reporting what I heard today.

I spoke with BCM today and asked them why The Edmontonian was still on their website and the reply was the project is on hold but not cancelled.
you should have asked them why station pointe is also still on their website. i think their lenders took that one over pre-covid… :)

All manner of companies go through financial hardship and often come out the other end ready to play again,
true enough - if not i’d be in a lot of trouble. having said that, those that do come out also don’t come out with the same hand they were playing beforehand and some don’t come out of the other end at all (something just takes longer for some than for others).

It is not me thinking that they can develop the project it is them thinking that they can develop the project and that is all the difference. From my perspective maybe they can; maybe they can't -- I am just reporting what I heard today.
They have no chance as track records of poor workmanship is what they're known for.

The Aldritt still has life but not necessarily the current height proposed; upwards of 150m mix-use would still look considerably significant.
Except, they can't reduce the height. In their words, the amount of piling they have to build in a very small floor area (due to the abandoned coal mines under the site) means they have to build the tower to the proposed 280m height or it won't be profitable for them. It's all-or-nothing. They either make their money back by building to full height or they don't build it at all.

Back