Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Dec 13, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
The construct and operate a a mixed-Use building with Commercial Uses on the ground level with two (2) Specialty Food Services (Public Space of 64.4 m2 and 64.4 m2) and four (4) Restaurants (89.6 m2 of Public Space and 86.8 m2 of Public Space and 55.3 m2 of Public Space and 125.3 m2 of Public Space), and four (4) General Retail Stores; with 6 Storeys of Multi-unit Housing (158 Dwelling units); and three levels of underground parkade with 190 vehicular parking stalls consisting of 62 vehicular parking stalls as Vehicle Parking Use and 128 Accessory vehicular parking stalls for Multi-unit Housing Use; and a rooftop patio; and to construct an internal courtyard public space framed by Commercial tenant bays with connectivity to both 102 Avenue and 123 Street; and to construct exterior alterations to the Site.
Address
MECH, 12322 - 102 AVENUE NW

On this week's episode of what grinds my gears....

Why the f*ck can't this project use brick for exterior? Why are developers in this city so reluctant to ever use brick? Is masonry, and labor of, ridiculously expensive in Edmonton alone? Are market prices and rental prices too low compared to other cities to warrant the additional cost? Or do developers, and architects, just think that for whatever goddamn reason EIFS sells better in Edmonton and therefore they just keep going with this status quo??

The first page of this forum, the examples given for what the product may look like before renders came out, were all brick. @IanO posted a similar product from the same architect, that has brick. After all that, it looks like the actual project will be using EIFS....

Anyways rant off, had to get that off my shoulders lol.

Why the f*ck can't this project use brick for exterior? Why are developers in this city so reluctant to ever use brick? Is masonry, and labor of, ridiculously expensive in Edmonton alone? Are market prices and rental prices too low compared to other cities to warrant the additional cost? Or do developers, and architects, just think that for whatever goddamn reason EIFS sells better in Edmonton and therefore they just keep going with this status quo??

The first page of this forum, the examples given for what the product may look like before renders came out, were all brick. @IanO posted a similar product from the same architect, that has brick. After all that, it looks like the actual project will be using EIFS....

I think the explanation will probably come down to cost (not well versed enough to be certain). Brick would be fantastic and we don't get anywhere near enough of it here sadly.

Thats a lot of CRUs with OEX and OEX2 nearby as well. Hopefully will really make this a complete neighbourhood for all the residents! (Already almost is!)

A little surprised by all the parking though. I wonder if thats to help serve the retail in the area? Cause I don't imagine the 150 residents will need 130 cars. Id imagine many of these residents will be bikers and transit users, or car share/uber regulars.

I
Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Dec 13, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
The construct and operate a a mixed-Use building with Commercial Uses on the ground level with two (2) Specialty Food Services (Public Space of 64.4 m2 and 64.4 m2) and four (4) Restaurants (89.6 m2 of Public Space and 86.8 m2 of Public Space and 55.3 m2 of Public Space and 125.3 m2 of Public Space), and four (4) General Retail Stores; with 6 Storeys of Multi-unit Housing (158 Dwelling units); and three levels of underground parkade with 190 vehicular parking stalls consisting of 62 vehicular parking stalls as Vehicle Parking Use and 128 Accessory vehicular parking stalls for Multi-unit Housing Use; and a rooftop patio; and to construct an internal courtyard public space framed by Commercial tenant bays with connectivity to both 102 Avenue and 123 Street; and to construct exterior alterations to the Site.
Address
MECH, 12322 - 102 AVENUE NW

Yes, I suspect that they will have some parking dedicated to short-term use for patrons.

A hint of what's to come? This BC project is a similar scale/look by their primary architect.

1555-McKenzie-Saanich_DuskCorner.jpg

1555-McKenzie-Saanich_Corner2.jpg

I know this is not the same project, but it indeed gives me big European vibes with the tall ground floors and the little plaza. It reminds me of a School of Life video about how modern cities are ugly – one reason they gave was that we have forgotten how to build plazas for people! We've lost the Art of the Square (see 5:30 in the video below).

I agree - especially when brick is prominent from the historic buildings across the street to the East and South. What they are in fact building will diminish the character of the area.

I wish it were sooner. I'd love to stay in this area, but it's mostly rentals and I'm on the market for a condo :(
Hopefully the market can rebound and make condos an option again soon. I'd imagine the LRT will help with that as well.

Are you thinking more DT because of the higher # of condos there? Symphony has great prices if you don't mind the hill.

Hopefully the market can rebound and make condos an option again soon. I'd imagine the LRT will help with that as well.

Are you thinking more DT because of the higher # of condos there? Symphony has great prices if you don't mind the hill.
I'd love to stick to West Oliver, as I've been here since we moved to Edmonton, but we're looking at DT a lot, due to what you pointed out.

Can you connect me with someone who's selling at the Symphony?

Back