Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Looks like they're amending their DC2 for some reason; maybe to be compliant with the EDC conditions on their DP?

Description: To rezone from DC2 to DC2
Type: REZONING
Application ID: 262207215-002
Decision Date:
Application Date: 5-SEP-2017
Public Hearing Date:
Current Document: Current Document

Hearing this is going back to council for a revision of the DC2. Not confirmed, but I am hearing they are looking to reduce the amount of affordable housing.

Edit: I see I was already aware of the revision back in September from the post above this one. :p I guess now I have a better idea of the reason.

Last edited:
Up at council on November 15 with this change:

There are no changes to uses, building regulations or urban design regulations from the current (DC2.925) Site Specific Development Control Provision. The primary change is to the regulation requiring a developer sponsored affordable housing contribution. The current wording is:

Prior to the release of drawings for Building Permit review, except for an excavation permit, the Development Officer shall ensure that a signed agreement(s) has been executed between the Owner and Habitat for Humanity Edmonton and/or such other affordable housing organization/charity/society, confirming that a minimum of 10% of the Dwellings shall be assigned to, used or operated by the affordable housing organization/charity/society to the satisfaction of the Development Officer.
The developer has been unable to negotiate an agreement that satisfies the above and now wants to work directly with the City to make this contribution. The proposed wording is:

Prior to the issuance of a Development Permit for the construction of the principle building within this Provision, the Development Officer shall ensure that a signed agreement:
  • has been executed between the Owner and Habitat for Humanity Edmonton and/or such other affordable housing organization/charity/society, confirming that a minimum of 10% of the Dwellings shall be assigned to, used or operated by the affordable housing organization/charity/society to the satisfaction of the Development Officer; or
OR
  • has been executed between the City and the Owner, requiring the Owner to provide the City the option to purchase 10% of the proposed number of residential Dwellings at 85% of the market price or pay the equivalent cash in lieu to the City.
The proposed wording is in accordance with City Policy C582 (Developer Sponsored Affordable Housing) except that 10% of the units are used instead of the 5% as required by the policy. Therefore, this contribution exceeds the requirements of the City Policy.​

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1998&doctype=AGENDA

Edmonton council rejects tower developer's new pitch for affordable housing
Edmonton city council is refusing to let a developer off the hook on its commitment to fit affordable housing in a proposed condo building off Whyte Avenue.

On Wednesday, WestOak CEO Mathew McLash told council his company hasn't been able to pin down a non-profit partner — a requirement under city policy — to help create affordable housing in the 16-storey Mezzo tower on 105th Street and 81st Avenue.

Instead, WestOak asked the city to buy 10 per cent of the tower's suites at 85 per cent of the market price. Alternatively, the company suggested giving the city cash in lieu of fulfilling its pledge to build the affordable units.

Council wasn't happy with the proposal.

"I confess, I feel betrayed by that," Coun. Ben Henderson said of the request. Council voted 11-1 against McLash's pitch.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/city-council-whyte-ave-mezzo-tower-1.4404488

Council rejects Mezzo towers developer change to affordable housing
screen-shot-2017-11-15-at-6-57-52-pm.png.size.xxlarge.promo.png

The 16-storey Mezzo tower, proposed by Edmonton's Westoak Development.

The developer of the controverisal Mezzo tower planned for Old Strathcona says his plan to devote part of the building to a charity-run affordable housing project is no longer possible.

Council greenlit the 16-storey tower back in the spring of 2016, in part because the developer planned to devote a portion of the project to low-cost residences.

But Mathew McLash of West Oak Developments told city council Wednesday that groups like Habitat for Humanity were too busy with disasters like the Fort McMurray fire to partner on his project.

Instead, he asked the city to help fund the 29 affordable units he'd originally proposed. He also asked to make the units smaller, downgrading them from family units to 2-bedroom apartments.

"Affordable housing is incredibly important to [city council], it’s equally important to us," he said. "It's just we need to be able to execute on those commitments."

But councillors weren't pleased with McLash's request to change the original agreement.

McLash proposed that the city either buy the affordable housing units from him, at 85 per cent of the market cost, or that the city charge him an extra 15 per cent per housing unit and which would allow him to sell them at market rate.

"It seems to me that the developer is changing the rules of the game in the middle of the game. And I don't think that's fair," Coun. Moe Banga said.

The majority of councillors voted to reject McLash's proposal, sending him back to find another charity partner.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmont...s-developer-change-to-affordable-housing.html

Council votes down bid by Old Strathcona developer

I actually like the new proposal quite a bit. Sad to see that there wasn't a partnership signed however, the alternative seems just as good.

Reference ID: Job No 229310130-013
Description: To construct interior alterations to increase the number of Apartment House Dwellings in a mixed use building from 131 Dwellings to 196 Dwellings, and to convert the second floor Professional, Financial, and Office Support Service Use to Apartment Housing (MEZZO).
Plan I Blk 63 Lots 32-36
Applicant: 105 STRATHCONA
Create Date: 11/27/2019 12:47:57 PM
Neighbourhood: QUEEN ALEXANDRA

Back