I saw this at Bonnie Doon:
IMG_0849.jpeg

Went out and took a look. It's Western Pacific Enterprises. They have a tripod set up over a manhole and a long ladder on the ground.

Attachments

• PXL_20231010_160327233.jpg
    PXL_20231010_160327233.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20231010_160339714.jpg
    PXL_20231010_160339714.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 28

Train demonstration testing along the entire 13km alignment that has been ongoing for the past few weeks as part of the independent performance and safety demonstration has been successfully completed.

They also said the cable work is not related to the previous upgrades

The rest of the thread explains what you saw:
wqYsKM9B_x96.jpg

While independent certification paperwork continues, TransEd will complete some maintenance work over the next 4 days within the trackway while train movement pauses in Millwoods, Bonnie Doon and Strathearn neighborhoods.

The work involves relocating or removing some cables located in conduits designated to remain free for possible future use by the City of Edmonton. (This work is not related to the prior cable upgrades TransEd completed this past summer.)

The rest of the thread explains what you saw:
wqYsKM9B_x96.jpg

While independent certification paperwork continues, TransEd will complete some maintenance work over the next 4 days within the trackway while train movement pauses in Millwoods, Bonnie Doon and Strathearn neighborhoods.

The work involves relocating or removing some cables located in conduits designated to remain free for possible future use by the City of Edmonton. (This work is not related to the prior cable upgrades TransEd completed this past summer.)

Still no mention of the 'o' word. 😞

Still no mention of the 'o' word. 😞
I think they've learned from past experiences and are not making promises, but considering the current stage, and the timeline previously posted, with estimated times for all of the stages prior to opening (the most recent graph they've been using), it should be this month, or very early November.

So, this still means that someone drew up the plans wrong, or WPE didn't read the plans right and put the cables in the wrong conduit. Oh well. I guess it could have been worse, and at least it wasn't an issue with the material... will just be mainly labour costs to move the cables.

Looks like this work is not re-work, or work related to the previous cable installation. At least the safety demonstration is completed.

These could have been used for temporary cables for anything from communications to electrical. Maybe it was utilized for trailer power, for example. This would be my guess because I remember trailers being setup in these locations?

I agree that this isn't rework. It's more similar to demobilization once a job is fully complete.

I'll one-up you: can we have the city take way left turns, full stop?
The issue is not left turns in general, it's left turns at this particular intersection during the construction period. Normally, at busy intersections there is a separate lane for vehicles turning left and those attempting to proceed straight through the intersection are not trapped behind them. Because this intersection is constricted into a single lane east and westbound, there is nowhere for vehicles going straight to bypass someone who is turning. This leads to major backlogs.

I think a lot of the ills on Stony Plain Road are self-inflicted. The Stony Plain Road businesses insist on a two-way street, even with neighbouring 100 Avenue. They could have had SPR one-way to 156 Street, but protested that.

There’s not a lot left to SPR. Obviously don’t want people’s hard earned businesses to fail. But the majority of businesses most impacted are in the 149-156st section. And it’s a tough collection overall. (And the jasper gates shopping centre I wouldn’t quite include as the massive parking lot and access from 149st & 100aves make it less dire).

- corner pharmacy (closed already)
- stony pharmacy
- CPA offices
- lucky aces clothing
- donair shop
- video game shop
- DQ
- smokin aces novelty store (closed already)
- African spice shop
- pizza and donair
- convenience store
- XXX dvd liquidators
- tailor
- cash money store
- convenience store (closed and boarded up)
- dollorama (burned down)
- Aaron’s (sketchy version of the Brick)
- JP hotel (boarded up)
- tropical food store
- massage place
- cash canada pawn shop
- cash box pawn shop
- JPHAWC (closed down)
- empty buildings
- empty lots
- west end exchange pawn shop
- vacuum seller
- coin laundry
- luggage land
- vacuum central
- money mart
- quick mart
- bakery/cafe
- united way
- demolished building/lot
- revolution cycle, gym, golf, yoga building.

Any guesses on how long it’ll take for this area to be rebuilt?

The bones are there for it to be one of our only “main streets”. But man…it’ll need 5-10 great projects to make it attractive. Not sure how it’ll ever get there. Wish a developer with deep pockets would buy up the whole strip to rebuild it.

Back