I am thinking those apartments predate the mall and maybe even the hospital. Now with the LRT, coming that would be an even better location for higher density residential.

175k in February. Or about 6000/day.

Expectations were 30k/day. Source: https://andrewknack.ca/blog/valley-line-lrt

20% of expectations is concerning, no?

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 7.45.44 PM.png

I still think the numbers are undercounted, but we’ll probably see increased usage as the summer hits most likely. The nicer weather always brings out a significant amount of people in my experience during the weekends.

I still think the numbers are undercounted, but we’ll probably see increased usage as the summer hits most likely. The nicer weather always brings out a significant amount of people in my experience during the weekends.
It’s 10% or less of capital line ridership. So even if we are undercounting both, it’s dramatically less than it should be vs projections.

Is there any possibility of the VLSE getting full Transit Signal Priority (TSP)?

Seems like an easy way to increase average speed.

(I’m also hopeful that as the years progress we’ll see continued development along the line which will further increase ridership.)

Last edited:
Is there any possibility of the VLSE getting full Transit Signal Priority (TSP)?

Seems like an easy way to increase average speed.

(I’m also hopeful that as the years progress we’ll see continued development along the line which will further increase ridership.)

I'm looking at Millwoods Town Centre, Davies Transit Centre and Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.

I wonder what the Capital Line's historical ridership was.

Vancouver's Expo Line was 21,000 per weekday on average post Expo 86. Everyone starts from somewhere.

Many of the studies I see say that light rail, particularly traffic-integrated light rail, does not attract nearly as many passengers as higher speed metro options. I'm still hopeful there is potential along the corridor.

Edmonton's early LRT didn't start out strong either. Also, were these ARC card boardings, or were these achieved through statistical modelling. An example here.
Didn’t say methodology unfortunately.

One hope is that these are from ARC data and capital line numbers are from head count extrapolations of sorts and that a good chunk of discrepancies could be non paying, or non tapping customers.

But even still, say the real number is 12k, not 6k. There’s no way it’s anywhere close to 50% or projections. Which feels like a massive failure.

New rail, for billions, should also increase overall transit use, not just replace buses. So hopefully at the end of 2024 we have a sense of if overall net trips increased vs just trains replacing buses but ridership/use staying flat.

If we want to hit our 50% goal of non car travel for all trips, we likely need 25% of that to be transit, 3-4% biking, and 12% walking.

We’re around 9-11% transit right now if I remember correctly. So this line needs to boost us a few percent, and WVLRT another few too. If these two can’t get us close to 20%, then I don’t think the 50% goal will be reached. Capital south barely opens up much more ridership. Metro NW will be good, but likely only a few % bump too.

Back