Do you really think that City Council doesn't want to attract or keep head offices in the city? Really? I think what you actually are trying to suggest is that they have been ineffective or put insufficient resources to grow the business community, but it is hard to know when you don't say what you mean.

Frankly, I don't know which downtown you are looking at, but Edmonton's core is definitely better than it was 20 years. Not only is the residential population larger, but it also has experienced multi-billion dollar investment of both public and private money. I get that there are a lot of work still to be done, but things are absolutely better than 2 decades ago.
Yes, I actually think they have very little interest in this and given the lack of business experience on council, I suspect little aptitude at it either.

I am not against growing the residential population, but if we continue to focus on jobs in suburban locations then it will be hard to attract more people to live downtown.

There may be more residents downtown, but compared to other cities over the last decade our growth has been very weak and all the empty commercial space reflects that what is being done now is not really working well.

"After getting hit by a vehicle"

The Valley Line is just emphasizing how bad Edmontonians are at ignoring red lights.
Maybe an enforcement push targeting intersection infractions seen daily, such as ignoring no-turn-on-red signs, not stopping before turning right on red, or making left turns well after the yellow has turned red, would help.

I regularly shake my head at what I see waiting for the lights to turn during my bike commutes at major intersections, especially during busy times when the signals change.

I'm guessing that it's probably someone from outside of the city. The car turned at the light (not the turning lane with the signal) with the train signal on.

Back