'Truly moving forward': One more hurdle cleared for west LRT'
1602414280882.png

Edmonton Journal

The west Valley Line LRT plan passed a provincial review with only “a few concerns” outstanding, Transportation Minister Ric McIver announced late Friday.

A $1.47-billion provincial funding agreement should be signed shortly. While there are still details to iron out with the city, it was enough to have the local ward councillor celebrating.

So another update from the south end of the line. Northbound traffic has been shifted to the final configuration northbound lanes from 38ave to around the Esso station at approximately 42ave on 66st. They have to still pave one additional final layer of asphalt but traffic has been moved for now so they can probably move the concrete barriers so they can pour more center median and curbs.

Last edited:
Was down by the south end of the Bridge today. landscaping has started, with rock underneath the viaduct, and some grading started. The old (i assume late 70's, very rotten and dilapitated) wooden enclosure-grass pad thing is gone, and the area is being regraded a bit. The big thing i noticed is the final support for the bridge has sprouted appendages, presumably for the footpath. there are connections for rebar both in the middle of the support (~10' wide) and for several feet out on each side. I think this is just a feature width to go around the supports, but nonetheless i was really impressed to see this in person. It's huge! It will be interesting to see this area come together a bit before snow, and when the final touches go in in Spring!
IMG_9756.JPG

From TransEd comms:

They didn't say why replacement was needed (I sent a follow-up to see if they can say).

Here's the answer to my follow-up question:
Investigations of the girders showed that while the they are structurally sound, they are being replaced because they do not meet our quality standards. For the public’s assurance, TransEd has a robust quality control program with onsite Engineers overseeing all aspects of construction, investigations confirmed that there were not structural risks.

...not sure what that's^ supposed to mean (it's a hunk of concrete with some conduits in it?) but i'm glad they're sorting it out now. Also, I'm glad this hasn't hit the news or anything. although it is a bit annoying to see, Transed is sorting things out properly, and we don't need a PR black eye on this project so close to opening (think Walterdale bridge being late, the bacon bridge (two porjects which i have heard people conflate when discussing infrastructure projects, super odd) and Metro Line signalling. We need something good for the city to come together nice and clean. (or at least appear to). SO, love gossipping about it here, glad it's not showing up on newsradio lol.

I love that drone shot of Davies station. That DT view!
It is amazing how nondescript Argyll Rd really is. (I guess from any vantage point it is!) I live right around there in Avonmore. I'll try to explain my thoughts.
It took me a while to make out the Four Seasons Hotel on 75th & 63rd, and it’s about 8 storeys. Argyll is so close to Wagner Rd, it’s just the 45-degree jag that Argll makes a little before 83st that is a little deceiving. I would have guessed you would see the LRT track ramp down to ground level at 83st in that photo a little better, but nope, it's just a smidgeon of the extreme left and just below the tree line as it then heads north towards Sir William Place, (really hard to make out Sir William Place too).
Makes me wish for a drone video of the whole line!
I guess my point is that Davies station is fantastic and that area of town is butt ugly! o_O

I guess this was probably answered before, but the thread is too long to search for it: why did the city opt for the overhead cable system, instead of the self propelled LRT compositions we have in other places? Was it just financial? because that doesn't seem to be too good of a reason, given the extra construction and maintenance costs it generates

@ChazYEG Diesel units aren't very environmentally friendly, nor efficient with a lot of stop-and-go operation, and a third-rail system for a surface line is a big no-no. Not sure what other options are feasible?
In places without much freeze thaw the more expensive imbedded either induction coil or ground level third rail which is only activated when the train is present have become more common. Usually for heritage areas to overcome objections to help projects succeed. Elsewhere leading edge battery or capacitor systems are used - their big disadvantage is charge time, weight and cost trading off with savings from conventional systems. They’re great for country side tram train type installations where you can charge from cables during the city portion and operate on established lines with little modification for the rest of the journey.

Back