That makes sense to me.
Also, just wanted to introduce myself as I am new here haha. I am actually currently not an Edmonton resident but will be moving downtown at the end of April, so I am looking forward to joining the community :) I've become a little addicted to combing through these forums for the past few weeks now and I figured I would make an account 😄

If Edmonton gets to host the World Cup in 2026, I wonder if it would be wise to finish one leg to 124 Street from downtown, if the whole leg can’t be completed early.
We should definitely get the whole thing done by then, using whatever funding we can get to expedite the construction. It's super important that WEM be connected into the system by that time for many reasons

If Edmonton gets to host the World Cup in 2026, I wonder if it would be wise to finish one leg to 124 Street from downtown, if the whole leg can’t be completed early.
I'm betting any phasing will probably follow this to some degree. getting the construction done DT first makes sense.
One thing I'll add is the SPR-Groat Bridge issue. When the bridge was refurbished a few years ago, they had to close SPR entirely (for about a year, if memory serves) between 124 and 142/102, with only limited local access. Given that the bridge is going to be completely replaced which will probably take a year or two itself, I'm betting we will see the same closure again, presumably with most of the line construction required in the area being completed concurrently. Running with this idea, that kind of makes the section between 124 and 142 a 'package deal' phasing wise. you do the bridge and track all at once, while there's no traffic, (hopefully as fast as possible).
I bring that up because it might make sense to build that section early on; get the road closure over with and the new bridge in quickly, and get trackage in along a major auto-traffic pinch point along the route early on, rather than dragging out the process. IDK, maybe Downtown to 142 gets built first?

Chinatown Portal today:

14F51C13-F34A-4750-B85A-E84B9815F622.jpeg

FB78E23B-8B33-431C-9E13-C8D4E22CD32D.jpeg14F51C13-F34A-4750-B85A-E84B9815F622.jpegCD23DD2B-6A1A-4FFD-9CCF-C72CC8145C5C.jpeg5C9478F8-5C39-4FA2-8CF6-4B32F09D55FE.jpeg

There will not be shy phasing of of this line. Opening a section downtown when the OMF is at the end of the line with no way of getting there makes no sense.

There will not be shy phasing of of this line. Opening a section downtown when the OMF is at the end of the line with no way of getting there makes no sense.
I think they were referring to the west portion of the Valley Line, and how it could potentially open in phases, gradually moving westward towards Lewis Farms.

I think they were referring to the west portion of the Valley Line, and how it could potentially open in phases, gradually moving westward towards Lewis Farms.
I think it could make sense that they could put a higher priority to opening the first six station, 2 at a time, or 3 at a time that are in or next to the downtown core. Those added stations could be integrated into the future/current valley line without putting much added stress on the line. I think these 6 stops should be relatively easy to build and open in a shorter period of time while the rest of the line where more difficult builds are taking place.

I would love if the WLRT would open to 124 street before the entire line was completed, but I doubt that will happen for a variety of reasons.

The main issue that that OMF for the WLRT will be at Lewis Farms, so it would not be possible to run enough trains deep into the westend while still maintaining the required headways. There is also the problem of the bridge over Groat that will likely take some time to complete, much like the Tawatina bridge, which seems to be one of the last major elements to be completed on the SELRT.

I also wonder about the P3 and the ability of the City to alter the arrangement since it will not be the operator of the SELRT line. There was a reason they didn't want to do another P3 and I suspect that one reason is that the master contract likely prevents any flexibility to make operational changes mid-stream without wholesale renegotiation.

I would love if the WLRT would open to 124 street before the entire line was completed, but I doubt that will happen for a variety of reasons.

The main issue that that OMF for the WLRT will be at Lewis Farms, so it would not be possible to run enough trains deep into the westend while still maintaining the required headways. There is also the problem of the bridge over Groat that will likely take some time to complete, much like the Tawatina bridge, which seems to be one of the last major elements to be completed on the SELRT.

I also wonder about the P3 and the ability of the City to alter the arrangement since it will not be the operator of the SELRT line. There was a reason they didn't want to do another P3 and I suspect that one reason is that the master contract likely prevents any flexibility to make operational changes mid-stream without wholesale renegotiation.
That last point is an especially good one. @Daveography mentioned that the facility at Lewis Farms would be "an additional light maintenance and vehicle storage facility", and that the Gerry Wright OMF will be expanded as well. So, I wonder how the city and Trans Ed are splitting it, and how it'll be used for both lines since two different organizations will be involved for daily operations. Perhaps they could talk about starting joint operations sooner?

On the first point, it could be doable. The Valley Line south trains would only have to travel an extra 2.5km to get to 124st. Thats not that much additional distance.

Back