Has VLRT resulted in more pedestrian traffic dt?
Honestly from my experience going there on the weekdays (both midday) and weekends, definitely a yes. Just as an anecdote, but I've seen people checking out the line for the sake of checking it out and people visiting the downtown library/Citadel theatre or checking out Rosewood Foods.

As an example, I swung by today and bumped into the Palestine protest/march and a decent amount of the participants were using the Valley Line to get to Churchill. I've also seen several groups of old Sikh men just exploring DT, either the mall or Churchill too over the last two weeks. A common sight in Millwoods making its way to the city centre.

I'm curious what others in this forum have seen. I'm super convinced it's been a big boost but I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias on my end, would love to know what everyone else thinks!

I just drove the VLW alignment. I'm happy to see the progress on the guideways, this time next year I'm assuming it'll be completed.

I'm not a fan of keeping traffic along the ground level areas of the alignment, though. It seems like the construction delays are largely a result of the insistence on keeping vehicle traffic flowing through a construction zone. What was done along the Glenora SPR area should have been done across the whole alignment. Kick out the cars until construction is completed.

I'd be interested in knowing what portion of the budget goes to traffic control. Seems like a ton of fat that could be cut, along with improved timelines.
If you owned a business along the line that was struggling to survive the construction period, you wouldn't be so eager to "kick out the cars."

If you owned a business along the line that was struggling to survive the construction period, you wouldn't be so eager to "kick out the cars."
I'm in favour of getting both sides of the alignment repaved and open again, so track work is what's left. Doing the back and forth shuffle, just to keep vehicle traffic open is just making the pain last longer.

And it's not like it's cars that are buying Pies or Coffee from Vies or The Columbian, both of which have been packed. Luckily they'll have their street finished before the rest of the line because the city was so eager to "kick out the cars" in that area.

Looked like it, but I didn't walk the entire area. Others will have a better idea.

It's going to be very nice. I'm hoping for more density in the area soon.
It is an uphill battle. Last year the Ritchie riches fought a grocery store proposal that would have been right next to Glenora station.

It is an uphill battle. Last year the Ritchie riches fought a grocery store proposal that would have been right next to Glenora station.
With the new ZBR, it'll will be much harder to fight new developments. I still think that it wasn't close to far enough regarding commercial food services in residential, but I'm optimistic.

Here are some photos from the Lewis Farms OMF and parking lot. The building looks nice, I'm assuming based on the pitch of the roof it will have plenty of solar panels. The parking lot seems to have prep work for bioswales, so that's cool I guess. It's still a very large parking lot that would have been a nice spot for multi family housing.

The connection to the neighbourhood seems to be underway via a MUP on the south west end of the lot.

I can't get over how convenient getting to WEM will be from this area. DT will be a little more of a journey, but this isn't rapid transit. Having a major hub like WEM on the west side of the line is sure to help ridership outside of peak hours.
PXL_20231119_171354391.MP.jpg
PXL_20231119_171410671.MP.jpg
PXL_20231119_171431589.MP.jpg
PXL_20231119_171540833.MP.jpg
PXL_20231119_171555455.MP.jpg
PXL_20231119_171619961.MP.jpg

Did anyone notice that sometimes the next train displays show different arrival times between screens on the same platform?

I'm in favour of getting both sides of the alignment repaved and open again, so track work is what's left. Doing the back and forth shuffle, just to keep vehicle traffic open is just making the pain last longer.

And it's not like it's cars that are buying Pies or Coffee from Vies or The Columbian, both of which have been packed. Luckily they'll have their street finished before the rest of the line because the city was so eager to "kick out the cars" in that area.
The businesses between 151 Street and 156 Street are really hurting. That section of SPR is a virtual ghost town now.

^ well, considering 4billion plus is being spent for what is essentially a bus on rails, some added expenses in the beginning, for what is generational infrastructure, would seem to be worth the spend.
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. A lack of full signal priority at every intersection, "stations" that look and feel a lot like bus stops (except Davies and the future WEM and Misericordia stations), a lack of grade separation, the absence of bollards in many sections--it's basically a railbus.

At least Ottawa, who also went with a low-floor tram, has grade separated their entire line and (very wisely) went underground downtown.

The one thing that surprises me about the Valley Line is the absence of green track. Many European cities have them with their trams, so does Eglinton Crosstown.

1700452507836.png

Back