I believe it’s for the fire hall that is located along there
I've read that there are plans for a new number 2 hall, as the rigs will be impeded by the tramline.
The smaller units assigned to investigation and other non time sensitive duties would not be impacted...
GG4EOmdXAAAwjxy

Report???

It was pretty cool to see the elevated pylons from 170st looking west. Given the slight curve of the line, it would be a very cool photo op for the right person who is out that way next from the SE corner of 170st/87ave looking west.

How tf do you hit the train from that direction? Is it another right turn on red situation?
That appeared to be the case, the car was in the right turn lane. When I went through northbound there was only 1 TransEd vehicle on scene. I was curious, so went back south at Muttart and then got to enjoy a nice long wait. By the time they got the train that was hit moving, there was now another TransEd vehicle, 2 unmarked Police traffic units, and 1 marked Police car. The train actually remained in service. To say this was a minor collision is almost an understatement. I couldn't see any damage on the black SUV from the train, and I had the misfortunate of riding the train (for 1.5 hours) that was hit, but, that meant I could get a closer look at it. There was a few black marks and minor scrapes and that was it.
Looks like the SE Valley Line can survive the heavy snow that's been falling since yesterday afternoon.
Yeah, I don't know that it survived. After the fun with the minor collision tying up the line, I kept on heading south, in particular because I was after car #2009 which is the first car to feature advertising and has a full exterior wrap for the Royal Alberta Museum. Went to intercept it at Woodvale. Got off my train, crossed to the northbound platform and the VMS showed I should have the train in 5 minutes. Another SB arrived, but didn't depart. And then another SB arrived and waited just north of the pedestrian crossing at the station. Took a closer look down the track and I could see the rear marker lights of the train I got off of sitting at 36A Ave. Good indication of problems at Mill Woods. By now the NB VMS sign has gone blank and is showing nothing. Great. Eventually my train arrives. I was surprised it wasn't 2009, but rather the train from the collision which I assumed would have been taken out of service as they have done in the past. Head Downtown and finally run my errands. Go to head home around 16:00. Watch a train leave 102 St as I approach, tap my Arc card, wait a few minutes and another train arrives. Figured we'd be off shortly since it was beyond 16:00 now, so 5 minute service. Nope. Another train arrives on the other track. Surely we're going now. Nope. Log into Arc to see that I tapped on at 16:11, so the train was there for about 16:15, and the previous one left at 16:09 or so. We finally depart at 16:29, 20 minutes after the last train. I don't recall if we got held along the way, but, we sure did at Bonnie Doon. We departed Bonnie Doon at 17:03. Slowly proceed to Davies where I can see the train ahead of us, that had departed 102 St 20 minutes before us, only just departing Davies. Arrive nearly at Woodvale at 17:21 and that train is ahead of us sitting in the station. Depart Woodvale at 17:32, finally arriving at Mill Woods at 17:46. 1.5 hour trip. Car #2008 was sitting on the SB track with Out Of Service on it's sign. Not sure if it was disabled, or the crossover for that track wasn't working, but, I guess with the shear volume of trains that are supposed to be providing 5 minutes service, and not being able to use both tracks at Mill Woods just caused a cascading slow down.
I am assuming this issue had occurred around 15:00ish when I saw the trains stacking up at Woodvale. If it were me, I would have started having single car trains, when southbound at Davies, go out of service and get them off of the line. Leave 2 car trains out, and try to run a 10 minute frequency so that you don't need to use both tracks at Mill Woods.
I don't recall hearing any platform announcements, the operator of my SB train from Muttart was fantastic with trying to provide updates and information, even when he had none. He even suggested we could grab a NB train and go back Downtown and catch a bus. The operator from 102 St never said a thing apart from playing the canned "this train will be delayed momentarily" message a few times. VMS signs showed a generic "Service Delay" message and that was it, and by 17:00 had reverted to their usual messaging despite the persisting delays.
I didn't see anything posted on social media about the collision delays, and later, Mill Woods delays. Arguably the Mill Woods delays could fall under the generic message ETS put out about City-wide transit delay, but the collision delay fell outside of that.
The Project Agreement requires under section 7.2.6.1: "notification to the City of all disruptions of greater than 10 minutes for announcement across the ETS network or via other media as necessary"
Section 7.2.6.2 covers Service Disruption Announcements, and for disruptions greater than 10 minutes TransEd is supposed to announce revised departures times, the reason for the delay, and regret for the disruption. The only one I heard doing that was the one operator, and certainly no PA announcements at stations.
Not impressed with TransEd's incident management and especially communication.

Last edited:
And it gets worse. ETS has a post on Twitter from about 19:30 that trains are not running between Mill Woods and Quarters due to switch problems. So that means they are only running a train between Quarters and 102 St. Nice. Buses are apparently running between Quarters and Mill Woods, which doesn't really make sense. Buses are more likely running from the Churchill Connector to Mill Woods since there aren't even contingency bus stops for the Quarters stop.

I've said it before. The LRV's can handle the snow and cold fine. It's whether or not the related infrastructure can. Again and again the switches have been problematic in the snow.

Edit: I misread the tweet because ETS screwed something up in the message. It might be that trains are running between Mill Woods and The Quarters and bus replacement is running between Quarters and 102 St. This makes more sense.

The tweet: ATTN: Due to a switch issue, Valley Line trains are not currently operating between Millwoods and The Quarters stations. Bus replacement service is available between the Quarters and 102 Street.

Last edited:
And it gets worse. ETS has a post on Twitter from about 19:30 that trains are not running between Mill Woods and Quarters due to switch problems. So that means they are only running a train between Quarters and 102 St. Nice. Buses are apparently running between Quarters and Mill Woods, which doesn't really make sense. Buses are more likely running from the Churchill Connector to Mill Woods since there aren't even contingency bus stops for the Quarters stop.

I've said it before. The LRV's can handle the snow and cold fine. It's whether or not the related infrastructure can. Again and again the switches have been problematic in the snow.

I wonder if a fair amount of people took this lrt tonight to the Oilers game. It won't be good when the game gets out.

Back