8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

NathanielBorody

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was looking at this old Edmonton streetcar map from 1944, and it made me wish they were still around and used today. In fact, over 150 cities use streetcars/trams today.

Edmonton should/could be one of them.
5B49266D-BE92-4EAF-B027-944D6E1EB0F8.png

Fun fact: The letters you see beside each route are colours (EG: RG = Red/Green, W=White). This is because a lot of blue collar workers in industries like meatpacking were immigrants who didn't know much English. Naming or numbering routes could make it hard for them to know which lines to use, but an immigrant could easily figure out that after work, he had to take the blue line home.
20210830_160923.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed that ship has, however, that's not necessarily a good thing. Streetcars would make a great transit alternative in areas where the LRT isn't applicable to build.
Very true, just look at Toronto. The newest Edmonton Streetcar that the Edmonton Radial Railway Society has is Edmonton 80, which was built in 1930 and stopped service in 1951 when the streetcar system was shut down. Our newest streetcar in general is Toronto 4612, which was built in 1951 and stopped service in 1995!

Very true, just look at Toronto. The newest Edmonton Streetcar that the Edmonton Radial Railway Society has is Edmonton 80, which was built in 1930 and stopped service in 1951 when the streetcar system was shut down. Our newest streetcar in general is Toronto 4612, which was built in 1951 and stopped service in 1995!
Thank you for sharing. I am a huge RM Transit fan and missed that video. Very informative as always.

Well to a certain degree the Valley Line is a street car line. We just won't have passengers getting on or off anywhere.
Exactly, the low floor LRT is somewhat like a street car line, just with more limited stops. So, while they did go away here, lets not lament too much, as they are coming back in a slightly different way.

Back