News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

On the Queen's Quay loop light, its such a mess..........

Lets look at it:

What does it do?

1) It protects streetcar access to the loop by blocking cars

2) Its protects left-hand turn access from the west to a residential parking garage

3) It protects a second private road/drive access on the north side

4) Its protects access to the underground parking and drive circle for the Spadina Quay residence on the south side.

What an unholy configuration!

Very hard to fix this whole thing, it was very poorly thought out.
Abandoning the QQ loop short turn would be a start, I think! The TTC is not capable of running reliable enough service that the lack of complete service to Union is not felt. 😧

Abandoning the QQ loop short turn would be a start, I think! The TTC is not capable of running reliable enough service that the lack of complete service to Union is not felt. 😧

The current Union Loop would be hard-pressed to handle much more streetcar traffic than it does now; but that issue should be resolved......in another decade or so............maybe, if we're lucky, LOL

• Sad
Reactions: T3G
As long as this remains a City of Toronto project, this will be nothing more than a St.Clair/Spadina style streetcar in a ROW. It's not going to directly connect to the Crosstown (ie: no through service) and there's going to be so many stops peppered in it will be slower than buses in the current RapidTO arrangement along a big stretch.

Not to worry through, this thing wont be built anytime before 2050.
I honestly think conceptually this project is a good idea - but yes, the execution sounds like it might be not great.
Get someone like RATP (well, SYSTRA) on the phone and give them carte blanche to build quality light rail in this corridor, to hell with Transportation Services and their aversion to transit priority...

Sidenote - is there anything that stops City of Toronto doing a P3 for this project (probably Design Build Finance Maintain) to spread the cost?

I honestly think conceptually this project is a good idea - but yes, the execution sounds like it might be not great.

I'm not excited about this project in terms of potential gain vs expense.

There are many others that should rank higher in my opinion.

I would then add, I think there are better ways to serve UTSC as well.

Sidenote - is there anything that stops City of Toronto doing a P3 for this project (probably Design Build Finance Maintain) to spread the cost?

No. But, for reasons I've outlined P3s almost always cost significantly more in absolute dollars than do projects delivered in-house. Private financing is vastly more expensive than public financing.

On the latter, the City is fairly close to its self-imposed debt ceiling.

Based on what the city tried to pull with the Eglinton West extension when it was under its control, that's all the conclusion I need to assert that the city will make sure that this operates as slowly as possible including through the addition of new stops.
The stops are already defined, in fact the recent report removed stops that were previously planned along Sheppard for the Sheppard LRT.

Last edited:
The current Union Loop would be hard-pressed to handle much more streetcar traffic than it does now; but that issue should be resolved......in another decade or so............maybe, if we're lucky, LOL
Sorry, the plan expansion is only good for today needs and it well never support the full built out of the waterfront, let a lone other routes that may service it

These things are not published, so if you don't believe sources, then you may be out of luck in finding an official statement.
I didn't realize you were a TTC employee. Is the policy contained in an internal memo or are you saying it's just communicated by word of mouth to operators? Would the TTC confirm this policy if a request were made?

I didn't realize you were a TTC employee. Is the policy contained in an internal memo or are you saying it's just communicated by word of mouth to operators? Would the TTC confirm this policy if a request were made?
I am not a TTC employee. I'm not sure where that was implied. But typically there is no reason for this information to be available to the public.

Reactions: T3G
I am not a TTC employee. I'm not sure where that was implied. But typically there is no reason for this information to be available to the public.
Yeah it does feel rather odd to be asking for an official confirmation on that. There was never any press release advertising stop/check/go, either.

Ah I see. Apologies, I had made that assumption from EastYorkTTCFan's post.

I am not disagreeing that there is probably a policy in place that would explain the frequent braking on the streetcar. Thanks for your input there.

On the other hand, there is a pretty clear problem on the forum where too frequently, a post is just seen as an invitation to try to disprove it; imho it makes for difficult discussion and even tougher still to bring up new ideas. Look at the first post in the TTC Streetcar thread for an example of this.

Back