Hi Animatrix,

some people on this thread already discussed what to look for during PDIs a few pages pack (starting on pg. 35, and it goes on for about 4 or more pages). Here is a quick link: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-City-Condos-(ELAD-Canada)-Real-Estate/page35

To sum, the main think you should look for is that:
(1) everything works (power outlets, lights, faucets, toilets, etc),
(2) the finishes are ok (no dents, cracks, breaks, etc)

You can take one of the checklists mentioned on those pages with you. Be as picky as you want, they'll either fix it or tell you why they don't have to. Be aware, they are not required to fix it all before you move in, so some of these fixes may be done when you are already living there.

I am annoyed too... My parents bought their unit on the second day they opened their sales office. There were three things that convinced my parents to buy in this area...

1. The building to the east of the condo would be demolished...

2. Emerald city 1 would be the only one out of the three condos that had direct underground access to the subway and

3. Emerald city 1 would be the only one out of the three condos that had direct underground access to the mall.

My parents are retired and of course, all of the above, were enough for them to buy. Now none of these statements are true AND they seem to have forgotten... Because no one notified us of this change and this information was presented ONLY when asked!!!

Extremely disappointed!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Hey emeraldbuyer,

it's very disappointing, I agree. Do you know if your parents discussed this misleading information with them? I'm really curious to find out if anyone confronted them and what their response was.

Hey emeraldbuyer,

it's very disappointing, I agree. Do you know if your parents discussed this misleading information with them? I'm really curious to find out if anyone confronted them and what their response was.

I also would like to know this as well. Please share. Thanks

Hi all, just curious what the folks who have moved in think of the condo thus far. I have actually seen some pics of people trying to rent out their units already on Kijiji.

I only went for my PDI. I thought the materials/finishes were just ok. For me there wasn't many wow factors. Was hoping they provided some basic blinds installed but not surprised they didn't tho. I hate the fact they could not provide a shower rod in the bathroom. My lower right cabinet under the kitchen sink has pipes running across which not only does it look bad, but took up 1/3 of the space. Good thing I'm not picky with that as there's not much they can do anyway.

Yes, I saw the units advertised on Kijiji...do you think they're more from agents/brokers? I found the rental prices lower than I imagined.

I only went for my PDI. I thought the materials/finishes were just ok. For me there wasn't many wow factors. Was hoping they provided some basic blinds installed but not surprised they didn't tho. I hate the fact they could not provide a shower rod in the bathroom. My lower right cabinet under the kitchen sink has pipes running across which not only does it look bad, but took up 1/3 of the space. Good thing I'm not picky with that as there's not much they can do anyway.

Yes, I saw the units advertised on Kijiji...do you think they're more from agents/brokers? I found the rental prices lower than I imagined.

It's too bad with the pipes situation... storage space is pretty valuable in a condo!

I also saw the Kijiji unit (I only found one... there are more?), and mls (now realtor.ca) has a ton of listings up. I also thought the rental prices were lower than imagined, but it could also be because it's high competition. Clearly, lots of units are available for rent, so I guess they're trying to attract. My guess is that it should go up a bit once a bunch of the rental units are already rented out. This is what happened with a bunch of condos, as I've noticed so far.

I'm not surprised that they don't provide blinds either, but that would have been a nice bonus! It doesn't surprise me because while most condos have stainless steel as a standard now, Emerald still saw it as an upgrade. So I'm not surprised that they're "just ok" and doing only the absolute necessary, though it is unfortunate.

I also think the finishes are okay too. I also have a piping under my bathroom sink so what they did is shape the inside drawer in a way to accomodate the piping and the drawer. I think every bathroom sink has piping under it. Never seen one that is not.
They fixed most of the things that I identified during my PDI, but some things are not yet. I still have to follow up on them.

No, Do not use swifter wet cloths. The best thing you can do is use a hardwood/laminate cleaner, and even then, just a very very fine mist. The main reason is the swifter clothes are to wet. If you are talking about the floors in the Condo the floors are likely laminate. Laminate must be kept as dry as possible. If water liquid gets in the joints it will bubble.

No, Do not use swifter wet cloths. The best thing you can do is use a hardwood/laminate cleaner, and even then, just a very very fine mist. The main reason is the swifter clothes are to wet. If you are talking about the floors in the Condo the floors are likely laminate. Laminate must be kept as dry as possible. If water liquid gets in the joints it will bubble.

Mine is not laminate. It is pre engineered hardwood floor. Thanks for the tip!
How about Shark hard surface steamer? It does not use chemical. Pure water only. Is it safe for hardwood floor?

I read reviews and it has mixed reviews. What do you guys use for your hardwood floors?

Last edited:
Mine is not laminate. It is pre engineered hardwood floor. Thanks for the tip!
How about Shark hard surface steamer? It does not use chemical. Pure water only. Is it safe for hardwood floor?

I read reviews and it has mixed reviews. What do you guys use for your hardwood floors?
I've had a Shark for years and love it -- great on ceramics too

With the hardwood you also have to be careful about how much water you use -- there are hardwood sprays and "green" sprays available that do a good job

I've had a Shark for years and love it -- great on ceramics too

With the hardwood you also have to be careful about how much water you use -- there are hardwood sprays and "green" sprays available that do a good job

Hi Pinklucy, another member here also said that Shark steam is okay too. Are you using Shark Steam mop on your hardwood floors as well? Is your hardwood floor sealed or unsealed? Will Shark steam mop make your hardwood floor clean and shiny? Any other products you can recommend to make the finish shiny?
I've read reviews and some people experiencing bad experience with Shark Steam mop. Some of them broke within few months and some of them say that their hardwood floors are damaged by it since steam also comes from liquid as well.

My floors are sealed; we originally had unsealed flooring and I hated it! I use a "green" spray on a regular basis and the Shark now and again -- to be honest, I pay someone to do most of my cleaning :) When we had our floors installed, they gave us a hardwood cleaner that I use now and again but generally I avoid chemicals.

Back