Paris I
Paris II
Paris III
Paris IV
Paris V
London I
London II
London III

So my plan of releasing one city per week hasn't quite fared as planned, but low and behold here is the City of Lights...

What can one say in a few paragraphs about Paris? It's almost an impossible task and I'll generally let the photos speak for themselves.

Paris is quite possibly the most impressive city we've ever seen. Rich, stylish, urban, urbane, historic, modern, confident, dense, massive, creative, monolithic and diverse. It's a perfect storm of urbanity that is hard for any other to match. It oozes urban perfection and the people there know it.

We've all heard about the problems in the périphérique, but it's quite easy to ignore all that (as sadly I think most Parisians do anyway). Anyway, enough from moi, here is Paris...

A Dutch commuter train on the next track. This is taken in Schiphol (Amsterdam) Airport's train station as we awaited our train to Bruxelles.
DSCN1501.jpg

Gare du Bruxelles Midi. We switched here to a French high-speed Thalys train to complete the journey to Paris.
DSCN1504.jpg

Bienvenue à Paris!
DSCN1504A.jpg

We started with some obvious stuff our first full day in Paris. Amazingly the roundabout circling L'Arc de Triomphe has no lanes!
DSCN1509.jpg

L'Arc de Triomphe!
DSCN1510.jpg

Paris is pretty close to being perfect. Pretty darn close.
DSCN1511.jpg

Under L'Arc de Triomphe.
DSCN1513.jpg

Almost at the top of the Arc. F.Y.I...L'Arc de Triomphe is the largest triumphal arch in the world!
DSCN1515.jpg

Ahh we made it! Looking south-east down the Champs Elysées towards Place de la Concorde.
DSCN1516.jpg

La Tour Eiffel!
DSCN1517.jpg

Looking south towards Tour Montparnasse (which we'll go up later in the trip).
DSCN1518.jpg

Looking south towards La Tour Eiffel.
DSCN1519.jpg

I love this picture!
DSCN1520.jpg

Looking north-west down Ave de la Grande-Armée / Ave Charles de Gaulle which perfectly terminates at La Défense's "Grande Arche."
DSCN1521.jpg

Looking north-east towards Montmartre (the highest point in the city).
DSCN1522.jpg

Back on the ground, another view down the Champs Elysées (a.k.a. "La plus belle avenue du monde!")
DSCN1523.jpg

WARNING: Lots of Tour Eiffel pics to follow...
DSCN1524.jpg

La Tour Eiffel (cont.)
DSCN1525.jpg

La Tour Eiffel (cont.)
DSCN1526.jpg

La Tour Eiffel (cont.)
DSCN1527.jpg

La Tour Eiffel (cont.)
DSCN1528.jpg

Some typically beautiful Parisian bulidings line Parc du Champ de Mars.
DSCN1532.jpg

A view down Parc du Champ de Mars.
DSCN1533.jpg

The south end of Parc du Champ de Mars features Le Mur de la Paix (The Peace Wall).
DSCN1534.jpg

La Tour Eiffel viewed through Le Mur de la Paix.
DSCN1535.jpg

Les Hôtel National des Invalides.
DSCN1536.jpg

Les Hôtel National des Invalides is a complex of buildings in the 7th Arrondissement containing museums and monuments relating to France's military history.
DSCN1537.jpg

Inside Les Hôtel National des Invalides.
DSCN1543.jpg

Les Hôtel National des Invalides (cont.)
DSCN1543A.jpg

Les Invalides also features Napoleon's tomb. Yup, the little guys in there!
DSCN1546.jpg

He rests in a cocoon of six coffins!
DSCN1546A.jpg

Pont Alexandre III (Paris' most elegant bridge) and Le Grand Palais (both built for Expo 1900).
DSCN1554.jpg

Lights on Pont Alexandre III.
DSCN1559.jpg

Pont Alexandre III (cont.)
DSCN1560.jpg

La Rivière Seine, Pont Alexandre III et Le Grand Palais!
DSCN1562.jpg

L'Assemblée Nationale (France's Parliament).
DSCN1563.jpg

Dan seems to think that Gianni Versace might have lived here.
DSCN1564.jpg

The pedestraian-only Passerelle de Solférino.
DSCN1565.jpg

Paris II is here.

Nice! Great views from the Arch- I didn't get up their on my visit last year. Did you check out the Moosehead bar- 16 rue des Quatre Vents? :)

Is that one of the Canadian bars? If so, I think we passed it, but didn't go in. Apparently Paris has seven Canadian bars, yet London only has one (which I found a bit surprising).

Yeh this is the one on the Left bank- it seems to get most of the press anyway. After a week in the city I went there for a Moosehead and watched some hockey. Our server knew little about Canada- but nevermind. On a similar note i was walking around Neuilley Plaissance in the burbs and came across a store selling hockey equipment with pictures of Patrick Roy etc in the window- very unexpected. Great pics!

Beautifully evocative pictures. When I was ten I was so excited to see Napoleon's tomb.

There was a great episode of the Soprano's this past season where Tony's wife goes to Paris. The episode goes back and forth between her wandering around in Paris amazed at what she's seeing versus Tony running around suburban New Jersey. Totally nailed the urban/suburban thing and it did show exactly how amazing Paris is.

Damn, I should have climbed the Arc de Triomphe... what incredible views!

Did you get to see Gare de Lyon? A beautiful building in a very cool part of town.

Gare-de-Lyon.jpg

GaredeLyon.jpg

I love this picture!

Very cute.

Is that one of the Canadian bars? If so, I think we passed it, but didn't go in. Apparently Paris has seven Canadian bars, yet London only has one (which I found a bit surprising).

one of them is a québécois bar on a sidestreet in between rue monge and the place de la contrescarpe, in the 5th arrondissement. it specializes in unibroue beer (fantastic belgian-style ales brewed in chambly, just outside montreal). according to the exterior menu a pint of fin du monde was €9 ($15)!

Back