8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

D

Darkstar416

Continued from Paris IV...

During a night-time walk through the République neighbourhood we stumbled upon this...a circus!
DSCN1763.jpg

It wouldn't be Paris without a public service strike!
DSCN1768.jpg

Zinedine Zidane is very much still a national hero.
DSCN1769.jpg

The following day it was off to the 16th Arrondissement to pay Le Corbusier's "Villa La Roche" a visit. This picture is taken in the "picture gallery."
DSCN1771.jpg

Villa La Roche is open to the public and is administered by the Fondation Le Corbusier. This picture is of the "window wall."
DSCN1773.jpg

Myself in the "picture gallery" of Villa La Roche. Le Corbusier had built and designed the house for a Swiss banker and collector of avant-garde art.
DSCN1775.jpg

This is another shot from the "picture gallery." For more info on the Foundation, check here.
DSCN1776.jpg

The villa was recently restored and can now be seen in pristine condition - the bright white surfaces and the blues, reds and blacks. This shot is looking towards the "library."
DSCN1777.jpg

Le Corbusier was a Swiss-born architect, famous for his contributions to what is now called modernism, or the "International Style." This is a shot of the "grand entrance hall."
DSCN1778.jpg

The "grand entrance hall" and the "window wall."
DSCN1779.jpg

Stairs from the "library" to the "grand entrance hall."
DSCN1780.jpg

The "window wall."
DSCN1781.jpg

A close-up of the stairs.
DSCN1783.jpg

From the stairs, looking into the "grand entrance hall."
DSCN1785.jpg

Looking into the "picture gallery."
DSCN1786.jpg

A room just outside the "picture gallery."
DSCN1787.jpg

The "picture gallery" and its famous ramp.
DSCN1788.jpg

The "window wall" and the "grand entrance hall."
DSCN1790.jpg

The "window wall" from the outside.
DSCN1793.jpg

Villa La Roche from the outside.
DSCN1795.jpg

A more typical building of the 16th Arrondissement (which is an upper-class residential and commercial district).
DSCN1799.jpg

Heading back to République via Métro Ranelagh.
DSCN1800.jpg

For our final night in Paris we decided to take a Fat Tire Bike Tour through the streets of Paris. Manuevering the streets of Paris by bike wasn't always easy (or safe), but our fearless tour guide Stacey helped. Here we are in the tony St. Germain-des-Prés neighbourhood.
DSCN1805.jpg

Notre Dame de Paris.
DSCN1806.jpg

Notre Dame and Ile de la Cité by dusk.
DSCN1808.jpg

Looking down the Rivière Seine from Ile de la Cité.
DSCN1809.jpg

La Passerelle des Arts is a pedestrian-only bridge that is a popular night spot for students and artists (and apparently ghosts). All you need to bring is a bottle of wine!
DSCN1812.jpg

Palais de l'Institut de France is home to the "Académie française" which keeps watch over the use of the French language.
DSCN1813.jpg

Our Fat Tire Bike Tour also took us through the grounds of the Louvre by night. Here is a night shot of I.M. Pei's Louvre Pyramid.
DSCN1815.jpg

Another shot of the Louvre Pyramid by night.
DSCN1816.jpg

Our bike tour also included a Bateaux Mouches boat tour along the Rivière Seine. Here we are about to go under Pont au Change (which contains Napoleon's crest).
DSCN1817.jpg

Notre Dame from the Bateaux Mouches tour.
DSCN1818.jpg

La Tour Eiffle from the Bateaux Mouches tour.
DSCN1824.jpg

Paris' Statue of Liberty faces west towards the original statue in New York.
DSCN1827.jpg

And that's Paris! Here's a parting shot of our hotel room. Au revoir et à la prochaine mon Paris!
DSCN1832.jpg

And that concludes what is perhaps UT's longest photothread of a city ever! Basically, it's hard to be discriminating with your pics when they are of Paris. So very, very hard.

London still to come, but give me a few weeks first!

Amazing city, amazing tour. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thanks for taking the time to upload all these pictures. I have to say that I am really impressed by Paris. I spent about 45 minutes looking at all the pictures. Good work!

Ironic that Zidane is stumping for an Italian company. I am not sure who is lauging last here...

Wow. That was fantastic, thanks!

As it turns out, I might be through Paris in the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions on where a budget-conscious urban type should stay for a couple of days?

Yes, so long as you don't have an aversion to cats. We'd highly recommend this hotel in the Republique neighbourhood:

Hotel De Nevers

chatsb3.jpg

parisplein4-2.jpg

Really? Awesome, thanks! (I have an allergy, but pills usually do the trick. But no aversion...)

I have about four days on the continent, and they're being planned in the most last-minute of ways...

The cats are more like mascots and just hang-out around the reception area. They rarely venture upstairs and even if they did, could't get through your room's door anyway (unless you let it in).

The price and location are hard to beat!

I think having cats around in a hotel is just great. It adds a personal touch to the hotel.

Back