40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

B

Brighter Hell

Fear at Fort Apache, Toronto

Apr. 21, 2006. 07:34 AM
ROYSON JAMES

They're ugly as hell, a towering eyesore and a costly addition to the Toronto landscape.

And whatever good they do, the 2.4-metre-high cedar fences being erected around Toronto police stations do not portray a positive image of a police force that's there to serve and protect — one that is an open, accessible presence in our neighbourhoods.

For $3.7 million, the Toronto Police Service is building a fortress around its stations, turning them into barracks just when the force says it is strengthening its connections with the community. And the police board and city council approve of the outlay, even as police spending continues to consume 25 per cent of the property taxes we pay.

"This project addresses site security deficiencies and enhances officer safety by: upgrading existing fencing to an acceptable standard; installing new fencing, where required, to an acceptable standard; installing automatic gates to parking areas; and integrating the gate system(s) into the existing security system to provide service personnel secure access; and installing appropriate signage."

That's the official explanation in the 2006 budget document. Already $1.8 million has been spent around stations like the one at Trethewey and Black Creek Drs. — a monstrosity that all but eclipses the view of the station from busy Black Creek.

This year, another $915,000 is slated for other divisions, $400,000 is to be spent next year and more than half a million dollars in 2008.

If these walls had esthetic qualities, they might be tolerable. A cedar wall is great for my backyard fence; it is not what one might expect of our public institutions on major streets.

According to the explanation from police headquarters, the fencing will protect the personal vehicles of our police officers; keep out vandals; block the view of gangstas who might want to camp out in grassy knolls overlooking the stations and pick off gang rivals being brought into the stations by police; prevent hackers from tapping into police data. That last one is a bit suspect, but we won't quibble.

To the average citizen, this smacks of a siege mentality.

If parking one's personal vehicle in a police division parking lot is such a dangerous activity for police across Toronto, someone forgot to tell the public. You'd think the police are capable of policing their own property. And if they are not, we are all in serious danger.

What the police are telling us is their officers are afraid, so they want us to build them cedar fences to protect their property.

They have video surveillance on their property, they have a building full of cops as backup, they have the full resources of the law, and yet they need a wooden fence behind which to freely operate?

Imagine, then, the kind of security provision the average citizen might need to insulate him or herself from nuisances and vandals and troublemakers. For instance, if I were to provide information to the police on a gunman in hiding, as I would dutifully do, what kind of protection might I be requesting?

"There's an obligation on any employer to take reasonable steps to provide for employee safety," police spokesman Mark Pugash says. Yes, police can and do arrest the perpetrators, "but the fact they're police officers doesn't remove the obligation to provide safety."

Yes. And police already have some protections. They are allowed to register their personal vehicles to the 40 College St. police headquarters address so that would-be criminals cannot trace their home address by checking their licence plate against transportation ministry data.

This kind of barrier is overkill.

I don't begrudge the police any safety tool required to do the job. Give them tasers, bazookas even. I'd vote to furnish police with a helicopter. But the reasons given for this expenditure are weak, very weak.

Several stations are getting a makeover over the next few years and some are being rebuilt. For example, in Rexdale, a new station is going up at Kipling and Finch Aves. It's a welcome sight for anyone who wants a police presence, a friendly and open and accessible and attractive place.

It would be a travesty and a tragedy to erect these ghastly fences along Finch or Kipling. What the area needs is architectural and street-level enhancement, not the walled indifference of privacy-consumed suburbia.

There are many pleasing ways to design a parking lot to limit unwanted intruders. Landscape architects will gladly respond.

Robert Frost wasn't talking about our neighbourhood police station when he wrote, "Good fences make good neighbours." These fences are neither good nor neighbourly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Royson James usually appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Email: rjames@thestar.ca.

Yeah. The first worthwhile column from him in a long time. Police stations should be open at the front - they are, after all, a public space.

Toronto Police Service: "Working in spite of the community."

It is sad though. If the police can't police their own neighbourhood and staff parking lot then how safe should the rest of the city feel? Its stupid. I can see having a garage for loading and unloading inmates but creating a fortress around the whole station? Here we are trying to prevent gated communities and the police are so scared of the streets they are gating in the police station.

Crappy suburban-style cedar fencing does not instil a sense of security.

Well, where do you think a lot of the cops themselves would choose to live? (Think Fantino...)

I wonder if they'll stick these fences around the HQ on College Street too? What about the new award-winning police station in Corktown?

Watch miketoronto use that where-cops-choose-to-live issue as a talking point...

I think cedar fences should have restrictions on where they live.

The new station in Corktown has a pretty massive concrete wall. I thought that it was a bit unnecessarily forbidding.

The new station in Corktown has a pretty massive concrete wall. I thought that it was a bit unnecessarily forbidding.
Indeed 51 Division does. 52 Division was also walled-in last year.

At least the one at 51 is....artful.

Cedar fencing....? Police books need to be audited like every other department.

Good to see the quick reversal...

Police halt building of fences at stations

Reaction to uproar over `fortress' look
Review ordered to find better approach
Apr. 27, 2006. 05:19 AM
VANESSA LU
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

The Toronto police services board has halted the construction of any new fences around police divisions after a public uproar.

"We're clearly giving the wrong message," said Councillor John Filion, a board member. "We approved money for security, but we never saw a picture of what it would look like.

"Nobody thinks it should look like a fortress."

Board chair Alok Mukherjee said the moratorium has been ordered, pending a full review.

The Star first reported last week on the $3.7 million in spending to improve security at police divisions.

The official explanation for the 2.4-metre-high cedar fences was to protect the personal vehicles of officers, keep out vandals, block the view of gangsters wanting to attack rival gang members being brought into stations and prevent hackers from tapping into police data.

More than half of the city's 17 divisions already have fences. Five are at the design stage and those have been halted, Mukherjee said.

"Fences could be more visually appropriate. It should not give the impression to the community that those buildings are out of bounds for them," Mukherjee said.

A full review will be done as quickly as possible to find a better way to provide safety and security without creating a fortress, he said.

Back